Magic Party Ideas
If your little ones love to dazzle you with their miraculous magical skills, this is the perfect party to plan! Throw a mystical birthday bash your little magicians will never forget with our Magic Party Ideas!
Shop our Magic Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Magic Party Favors
Magic Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic Magic party supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Magic party:
Magic Party Invitations
- A Selection of Magic Tricks
- A professional magician
- Magic 8 Balls
- A Telsa ball
- Stuffed white rabbits
- Old magic show posters of Houdini
- A Magic-Themed Movie, such as Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, Fantasia or Aladdin
If you have the time to make your own invitations, here are a few ideas to consider:
- Cut the shape of a top hat out of black felt and paste it brim-side-up on a piece of white cardstock. Use a glue stick to moisten the area directly above the brim and sprinkle it with confetti. Or, use glitter glue to make lines of glitter coming out of the hat. Write your party details on the hat in silver pen.
- Cut the shape of a rabbit out of white card stock and glue a small cotton ball on the tail. Write the party details in gold pen.
- Punch a hole in the corner of a card-style invitation and attach it to a magic wand. Ask your guests to bring their wand with them to the party.
- Cut several rectangles the size of playing cards out of white card stock. Decorate them to resemble playing cards, with the centers left blank. Write a few words of your party details in black marker on each card, making your guests flip through the deck to see their full invitation. Send them in old playing card cases.
- Include creative wording for your party details, such as:
With the tip of a hat, Harry will turn 7 on March 12.
This is no illusion!
Will you appear? Please let us know at 555-123-4567.
If you would rather not make your own invitations, but would still like a personalized touch, consider our Personalized Magic Invitations, which include all the party details for you! We also offer blank invitations that you can fill in yourself.
Decorating & Food Ideas
Magic Party Decorations
Make your party area magical with these decorating ideas:
Magic Party Food Ideas
- Create easy centerpieces! Set one top hat upside-down on each table of the party area. Place a stuffed rabbit in one. Tie brightly-colored scarves together and attach one end inside the hat and the other end to the ceiling. Fill another hat with crinkle paper.
- Make oversized playing cards by drawing hearts, spades, diamonds, clubs, and numbers with black and red markers on rectangles of white poster board.
- Tie groups of three or four balloons together and tie them to the backs of chairs. Anchor them with balloon weights and set them near doorways or in the corners of the party area.
- Scatter playing cards on tables and windowsills.
- Cut starburst shapes out of dark purple, blue and black construction paper and write magical sayings on them with metallic gold and silver markers. Use words such as "Abracadabra", "Hocus Pocus", "Presto Change-O", and "Alacazam". Hang these around the party area.
- Hang regular items like pencils, drinking glasses, books, or spoons from the ceiling with fishing line, as if they are levitating.
- Hang a banner over the entranceway to the party that says, "Say the Magic Words to Enter [birthday child]'s Party!" (Add the "magic words" to the invitations so your guests will know what to say. "Open Sesame" works well.) Check out our selection of personalized magic banner to consider.
Serve some magic munchies with these ideas:
- Serve chips, candy, crackers, and popcorn in upside down top hats lined with paper towels or bandanas.
- Make edible magic wands by dipping pretzel sticks in melted chocolate, letting them cool, and then sprinkling one end with coconut, white sprinkles, or sugar.
- Use cookie cutters in the shape of rabbits, stars, and top hats to cut out slices of cheese and serve with crackers. Serve shaped jello jigglers, pancakes, and watermelon as well.
- Serve soda, water, fruit punch, chocolate milk, or regular milk with silly straws.
- Serve "magic potion." Freeze cranberry and grape juice in ice cube trays before the party. Serve a colorless soda at the party, such as ginger ale or lemon-lime. Let your guests select their ice cubes, which will "magically" change the color of their drinks.
- Make Rabbit in the Hat Cupcakes.
- Make a Magic cake by baking a 9" x 13" cake and cutting it in the shape of a top hat. Frost the cake in chocolate frosting and sprinkle white sprinkles on the top to resemble the opening. Set a stuffed rabbit or rabbit figurine at the top of the cake.
Party Favor Ideas
Magic Party Favors
End the magic show with a wave of your wand and some magical favors such as:
- Small stuffed rabbits
- Magic tricks
- A deck of cards
- A magic 8 ball
- Magic wands
- Shaped lollipops
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Magic Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Magic Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Have your guests take turns pulling rabbits out of a hat.
In this fun guessing game, your guests must figure out who the rabbit is.
Help your guests make their very own magic wands with this fun craft.
Make poster board top hats for your guests to wear during the party.
Teach your guests magic tricks and let them put on a magic show of their own.
Puzzle your guests by tying a knot that's not a knot at all.
Entertain your guests with this simple magic trick and a funny story at the same time.
The object is to "guess" which color crayon an audience member has chosen.
The object is to blow up a balloon without ever putting it to your mouth.
Make it appear as if you've cut a paper carrot in half, even though it remains whole.
Guess an audience member's secret number with this "mind-reading" trick.
The object is to correctly guess the card your audience has picked.
The object is to draw a piece of paper from your hat that has your audience's selection on it.
Your audience won't be able to figure out how two cards rise to the top of the deck.
Try to guess the object that your guests secretly selected while you were out of the room.
Your guests will love decorating our printable Magic coloring page.