Luau Party Ideas
Make your child's next birthday party a true tropical dream by planning a Hawaiian Luau Party! Our Luau Party Ideas include general party planning tips, as well as ideas for invitations, decorations, food, and activities, that are sure to make your guests hula all the way home!
Shop our Luau Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Luau Party Favors
Luau Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
If you plan to use luau party supplies
, our Suggested Party Supply List
may be helpful while you shop. Please note that you may not need everything on the list; it is intended only as a guide.
Along with the traditional party supplies, such as plates, napkins, cups, and streamers, you may want to consider purchasing or borrowing the following items:
Luau Party Invitations
- Grass skirts and leis for each guest
- Plastic palm trees
- Beach balls
- Beach towels
- Sunscreen (if you are hosting the party outdoors)
- Disposable cameras
Creative invitations set the mood for your Hawaiian luau party and can build excitement before the big day arrives. If you have the time to make your own invitations, here are a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing.
- Cut a tropical flower out of colorful construction paper. Run a glue stick around the edges and sprinkle with pink, yellow, or blue glitter. Write your party details in the center of the flower.
- Write the party details on an inflated beach ball. Deflate the ball and send it in a manila envelope. Your guests will have fun blowing it up to read the invitation!
- Send your invitations in a package with a flower lei. Ask that guests wear the leis to the party.
- Attach a card-style invitation to a pair of flip-flops or sunglasses and hand deliver or send in a padded envelope.
- Create a card-style invitation out of construction paper. Run a glue stick along the bottom of the invitation and sprinkle with yellow glitter to resemble sand. Glue a drink umbrella and a small swatch of terrycloth to the glittered area to resemble a beach scene. Apply some seagull stickers near the top of the card for added effect. Write "You're Invited..." on the front and include all the party details inside.
If you do not have time to make invitations yourself, let us do the work for you! Check out our personalized luau invitations, which include your child's name and all the party details on a background that fits your theme.
Decorating & Food Ideas
Luau Party Decorations
Luau Party Food Ideas
- Make a Sand Castle Centerpiece - Purchase textured, sand-colored spray paint at any local hardware store. Spray paint shoe boxes and use them to form the main part of the castle. To construct the towers, glue Styrofoam cones to empty coffee cans, then paint. Other details, such as scallops across the top of the castle, can be cut out of Styrofoam and painted.
- Visit a local travel agency and ask for old travel posters of Hawaii, the Caribbean, or other tropical destinations, and hang them throughout the party area.
- Tape green butcher paper around the seats of chairs and fray the edges to resemble grass skirts. In the same way, add frayed green paper to serving bowls and cups, if desired.
- If you're hosting the party outdoors, use play sand to set up a "beach." You can use a sand box or, if one isn't available, spread sand on large trash bags for easy cleanup.
- Lay out beach towels for the kids to sit on as they eat or play games.
- Pile seashells and starfish in the corners of the party area and surround them with sand.
- Set up tiki torches along the driveway or sidewalk leading up to the party location.
- Hang paper lanterns and flower garland from the ceiling.
- Cut large flower shapes out of different colors of construction paper and tape them to the walls and doors.
- Place pineapples, coconuts, and bunches of bananas throughout the party area.
- Balloons are a must-have at any party! Combine a luau-themed Mylar balloon with four or five latex balloons and secure them with balloon weights throughout the party area. Also, tie balloons to the chair where the birthday child will sit.
- Play luau party music in the background. Steel drum bands are a good choice.
Serving theme-specific party food is a fun way to celebrate at your Hawaiian luau party. For some tasty tiki treats, try some of these suggestions:
- Serve tropical snacks such as macadamia nuts, coconut, and cashews in wooden bowls.
- Make fresh fruit kabobs by alternating mango, pineapple, and banana on wooden skewers.
- Make a sign that says "Tiki Bar" and hang it above the food table.
- Make "luau punch" by mixing pineapple juice and 7-Up. Freeze pieces of tropical fruit in ice cubes and add them to the punch bowl.
- Hollow out pineapple and coconut shells and use them as serving dishes.
- Serve beverages in tiki cups with a drink umbrella and a silly straw.
- Use flower cookie cutters or palm tree cookie cutters to slice cheese and lunchmeat. Serve them with crackers.
- Make Banana-Strawberry Smoothies by blending 2 bananas, 2 cups fresh strawberries, 1 cup milk, and 1 cup frozen yogurt. If you're looking for other tropical beverages that will take less time to make, consider virgin strawberry daiquiris and virgin pina coladas made from store-bought mixes.
- Make a luau party cake by surrounding a round cake with cupcakes to create a flower shape. Ice the center with yellow frosting and the cupcake petals with pink or lavender frosting.
Party Favor Ideas
Luau Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests with tropical party favors! To find a large variety of luau themed party favors, visit our Let's Hula party page
and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Inflatable beach balls
- Squirt guns
- Lei bracelets
- Small card decks
- Tiki Cups
- Flamingo shaped straws
- Beach notepads
- Lei necklaces
- Hula skirts
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Luau Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Luau Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Players use a sand shovel to toss ping pong balls into a bucket from a few feet away.
Teammates take turns running to the finish line and back while batting a beach ball in the air.
Be the first team to pass a hula hoop down the line while holding hands.
Each team member dons beachwear in this active and fun relay race.
Have your partygoers excavate a sandbox in search of seashells and prizes.
Just how low can you go? Find out with a game of Limbo!
Your partygoers will love decorating a pair of flip flops to fit their unique styles.
Let children "color" a 3-D picture using glue and colored sand.
Fill a bottle with colorful layers of candy "sand" then eat it!
Girls will love making their own bracelets filled with floating glitter and beads.
Create big, festive flowers out of colorful tissue paper and pipe cleaner.
Add a special touch to your child's luau party by teaching everyone the basics of hula dancing.
Your guests will love decorating our printable Luau coloring page.