Whether your little one is a fan of Ariel the Little Mermaid or just has a fascination with those mystical beings that live in the sea, throw her a magical party with our Little Mermaid Party Ideas! From invitations to party favors, we have all the bases covered so your party goes swimmingly!
Shop our Little Mermaid Party Supplies
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
You can stick with the basics, or add other items to fit your theme. For example, for a Mermaid Party, you may also want to consider renting or purchasing the following:
- Movies: The Little Mermaid (Rated G), Barbie Fairytopia: Mermaidia (Not Rated), or The Secret of Roan Inish (Rated PG)
- Mylar Balloons
- The Little Mermaid Soundtrack
To help you with your shopping, take a look at our Suggested Party Supply List. You may not need everything on the list, but you can use it as a guide.
For additional party planning tips, our Party Planning 101 Guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and more.
If you have the time to make your own invitations, here are a few ideas to consider:
- Purchase seashells at a craft store, or collect them on the beach and wash and dry them thoroughly. Write your party details on the shells and send them in highly padded envelopes, or hand deliver them to your guests.
- Cut the shape of a fish out of colored construction paper. Run a glue stick around the edge of the cutout and sprinkle with glitter. Write your party details in the center.
- Punch a hole in the corner of a card-style invitation and attach it to a sheet of mermaid stickers or a small mermaid figurine.
- Send your invitation as a message in a bottle! Write your party details on a sheet of construction paper. Clean out old pop bottles, roll the invitation into a tube and slip it inside. Hand deliver these to your guests, or to add to the mystery, leave them on each guest’s front porch! To save time, consider our Message in a Bottle invitations.
- Include creative wording for your party details, such as:You’re invited to an adventure under the sea!
We hope that you can come.
Mandy is turning 6, you see,
And it’s going to be so much fun!
If you would rather not make your own invitations, but would still like a personalized touch, consider our>Personalized Mermaid Invitations, which include all the party details for you! We also offer>blank mermaid invitations that you can fill in yourself.
Whichever invitation option you choose, seal your envelopes with mermaid stickers to add a final festive touch!
To transform your party area into a mystical, under-the-sea wonderland, consider these options:
- Scatter seashells, sand dollars and plastic starfish and seahorses on the tables and windowsills around the party area.
- Cover the ceiling, walls and floor with transparent cellophane wrap to give the impression of being underwater.
- Hang a banner near the entrance to the party. Check out our>personalized mermaid banner and let us do the work for you.
- Tie groups of three or four balloons together and tie them to the backs of chairs. Anchor them with balloon weights and set them near doorways or in the corners of the party area. Scatter blue, non-helium balloons around the floor.
- Fill fish tanks or fish bowls with water and plastic sea creatures, such as fish, crabs, and starfish.
- Hang plastic fish from the ceiling using clear fishing line.
- Print out photos of mermaids and attach them along a broad strip of ribbon. Hang the ribbon along the edge of the food table or along the top of the entranceway.
- Hang a pinata in the party area that can be used as a decoration before the activity begins. Remember, you can transform any pinata into a pull-string with these easy instructions.
It can be fun for the host and the guests to include theme-specific treats during the party. For a mermaid theme, consider the following ideas:
- Serve blue jello in clear cups. Before the jello sets, add a gummy fish to each cup.
- Let your guests get creative by making and decorating dough dolls to eat or take home.
- Serve goldfish crackers, sour gummy fish and octopi, and chocolate turtles in large, clean, plastic seashells.
- Cook seashell-shaped pasta and serve chilled with a little butter.
- Use cookie cutters to cut fish and seashell shapes out of peanut butter sandwiches, cheese slices, watermelon, and apple slices.
- Serve soda, water, fruit punch, blue gatorade, or nanaberry smoothies with silly straws.
- Tint cream cheese with blue food coloring and spread on bagels cut into fourths. Add one goldfish cracker to each.
- Make a Mermaid cake by baking a 9″x13″ cake and frosting it in blue frosting. Place a mermaid figurine in the center. Add decorations like gummy fish, wisps of seaweed drawn with green food gel or icing, and an octopus made by surrounding a red gumball body with 8 red licorice string tentacles.
Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests with under the sea party favors! To find a large variety of Little Mermaid themed party favors, visit our Little Mermaid party page and click the “Party Favors” tab or the “More Fun Stuff” tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Ariel bubbles
- Blowfish squirts
- Stickers and sticker books
- Bath and body gel
- Squishy sea creatures
- Costume jewelry
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Little Mermaid Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Little Mermaid Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child’s next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Your guests will love coloring our printable Mermaid coloring page.
Your guests must “swim” to their prize and get back before the others!
Don’t get caught by the evil octopus or you will be stuck in her garden!
Keep your guests entertained with this fun mermaid-themed craft.
Get all of your partygoers involved in this fun sea creature guessing game.
Fill a bottle with colorful layers of candy “sand” then eat it!
Have your partygoers excavate a sandbox in search of seashells and prizes.