Ice Cream Party Ideas
It's time to start screaming for ice cream! Our ice cream party guide includes suggestions for invitations, decorations, food, favors, recipes and games that will coordinate perfectly with your party theme. We even include a recipe for ice cream cake that your guests will devour. Read on to get the scoop!
Shop our Ice Cream Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to Ice Cream party supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Ice Cream party:
Ice Cream Party Invitation Ideas
- An ice cream maker
- Ice cream sundae glasses
- Ice cream toppings such as sprinkles, nuts, whipped cream, candy, cherries and hot fudge
- Lot of flavors of ice cream
- Ice cream cones or waffle bowls
- Ice cream scoops
- A blender for making milkshakes
- A pinata
- You may also want to see if your local ice cream truck can stop by during the party!
Scoop up the excitement early in the planning stage by sending your guests creative invitations. You can purchase one of our Ice Cream invitations
or make some yourself. If you have the time, here are some delicious-looking options.
- Include a small treat or toy with your invites that fit the theme. For an ice cream party you could include a spoon, a packet of rainbow sprinkles or some ice cream flavored candy.
- Create a banana split or large ice cream sundae filled with toppings (or order one at a restaurant) and then take a photo. This photo can be the front of your invitation. On your computer you can use photo manipulation software to write "We All Scream for Ice Cream!" on top of the photo. Print out enough copies of the photo on cardstock paper and then print the party details on the back of each photo.
- Draw or use a computer illustration program to create a dessert menu. Along with food and ice cream you will be serving, the menu can feature the date and time of the party. Print out enough copies for your guests and mail with a plastic spoon.
- Cut the shape of an ice cream cone out of construction paper. Glue a large round picture of your child on the top of the cone. Now add a red construction paper cherry on top of the photo. Write the party details on the cone. If you'd like, you can include a cute rhyme on the card such as:
Who screams? Alex screams!
We'll all scream for ice cream!
So grab a scoop and loosen your belts,
Then celebrate fast before the day melts!
Decorating & Food Ideas
Ice Cream Party Decoration Ideas
Ice Cream Party Food Ideas
- Make your party room look like a 50s ice cream parlor. Decorate with bar stools, small tables and chairs for all your guests. Play music from the 50s and 60s in the background. Serve food diner style and ask an adult to take orders at each table. You can even print small menus that list the food choices and the name of your ice cream parlor!
- Create a mini ice cream truck by placing a cooler on top of a wagon. Inside the cooler you can place a lot of ice and novelty ice cream bars. Write all the ice cream selections on tag board and tape it to the front of the wagon. Give your guests fake money that they can use to "purchase" their ice cream treat.
- Use popular ice cream flavors as an inspiration for your balloon and streamer colors such as pastel orange, mint green, chocolate brown and light yellow.
- Tie balloons to metal ice cream scoops.
- Create a banner that reads "I Scream for Ice Cream!" Use long craft paper, markers and ice cream stickers or we can print a personalized banner for you.
- Serve snacks in banana split boats or ice cream dishes.
- Create ice cream cone balloons! Inflate helium latex balloons in pastel colors that resemble ice cream such as white and pink. Attach the balloons to balloon weights with curling ribbon. Cut out a paper cone from brown construction paper and wrap it around the ribbon and base of the balloon to create an ice cream cone. Tape the cone along the side and to the bottom of the balloon. Make sure not to use too much construction paper so as not to pull down the balloons.
In addition to pizza, chicken fingers or hamburgers, you can add some ice cream inspired treats into the mix. Here are some tasty suggestions.
Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- Hotdog Split: Place a hot dog that's sliced in half horizontally on a bun open face and serve inside a banana spilt boat. Surround the hot dog slices with ketchup, mustard and relish or with chili or macaroni and cheese.
- Use an ice cream shaped cookie cutter to make small shaped sandwiches. You can serve peanut butter and jelly or lunch meat on whole grain bread.
- Serve fresh piping hot waffles with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
- Serve veggies in ice cream sundae dishes or banana boats.
- Set up an ice cream bar where children can make their own sundaes. Provide a variety of flavors and toppings.
- Create milkshakes to order by combining vanilla or chocolate ice cream with different flavored syrups in a blender with 1 cup of milk. Serve with a silly straw in a tall cup.
- Make ice cream sodas or root beer floats.
Here are directions for making an easy and delicious ice cream cake. For this recipe you will need a box of cake mix, a tub of whipped cream, a box of crumbled Oreo cookies and a carton of ice cream that comes in a rectangular container.
- First, bake two 9" x 13" cakes with your favorite cake mix.
- Let the cakes cool.
- Remove the ice cream completely from the tub.
- Slice the ice cream in half horizontally using fishing line or thread. Then, place the ice cream side by side on top of one layer of cake.
- Sprinkle the crushed Oreo cookie crumbs on top of the ice cream. Press down lightly on the crumbs so they go into the ice cream a bit.
- Carefully place the other layer of cake on top of the layer of cookie crumbs.
- Trim the cake so that it's the same size as the ice cream.
- Freeze the cake until it is very firm.
- Before serving, frost the cake with whipped cream and decorate as you choose.
Party Favor Ideas
Ice Cream Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests with delicious looking party favors! To find a large variety of Ice Cream party favors, visit our Ice Cream party page
and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Ice cream shaped straws
- Ice cream lip gloss
- Ice cream putty
- Ice cream cookie cutters
- Ice cream stickers
- Ice cream punch cones
- Popsicle shaped lollipops
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Ice Cream Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Ice Cream Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Younger guests will love coloring and decorating their own tower of ice cream.
Children will use party hats and foil balls to play a creative game of catch.
Players pass cones filled with water down a line until their team's glass is full.
What team can make a banana split the fastest?
Get ready to win with the sweetest game of bingo you've ever seen!
Guests color and decorate their own ice cream cone wrappers using our free printable templates.
Bake and serve cupcakes inside an ice cream cone!
Make delicious rainbow sherbet cake with this easy to follow recipe.