Does your child go crazy for face-offs? Does “icing” have an entirely different meaning at your house? Then get ready to throw the coolest Hockey Party ever! Our Hockey Party Ideas guide is full of great tips on hockey decorations, hockey party food, and hockey games and activities.
Shop our Hockey Party Supplies.
What Do I Need For my Hockey Party?
Use typical Hockey party supplies and decorations to get your event started. Really put a spin on your hockey party with NHL items especially for your theme:
- Hockey movies like “The Mighty Ducks” (1992), “Miracle” (2004), and “MVP: Most Valuable Primate” (2000)
- Hockey sticks and gear
- Air hockey table
- Construction sports cones
- A hockey pinata
Print up some personalized hockey invitations for a unique and professional look. For a more DIY approach, take a look at some of our NHL invite suggestions below.
Get creative with sports invitations and build excitement for your event! The shape, wording, and delivery method of your invitation can all be customized to fit your theme. If you have the time to make your own invitations, here are a few Hockey invitation ideas:
- Include a hockey sticker with your hockey party invitations or seal the envelope with a personalized hockey sticker printed with the party details.
- Cut out the shape of a hockey stick or puck from construction paper. Write the party details on the back.
- Invite guests to wear their hockey uniforms or jersey from their favorite team!
- Include creative wording on your invitations such as:Get ready to party out on the ice.
We’ll eat cake, open presents and play games that are nice.
If you love to score, check and skate
Then come to [child name’s] hockey party and don’t be late!
Use colors of your favorite hockey team’s uniforms as inspiration for your Hockey party supplies and decorations. Take a look at some of our suggestions for Hockey decorations to get started:
- Cut out the shape of hockey masks, pucks and sticks out of construction paper and hang them around the party area. You can also create hockey wall decorations with fun sports sayings like “Go [favorite team name]!” or the logos of your favorite hockey teams.
- Group bunches of latex and hockey balloons together and weigh them down with balloon weights or sports equipment.
- Hang a personalized banner above the food table or by the entrance.
- Hang a hockey pinata in the party area. When the time to break the pinata comes, use a hockey stick instead of a bat!
- Set up a hockey rink in your backyard or driveway using nets, sports cones and sidewalk chalk. Play a game of street hockey as a high-energy activity before food.
- Plan your hockey party to take place during a hockey game. Turn the game on in the background and root for your favorite team!
It can be fun to prepare and serve party food that fits your theme. For a Hockey Party, try foods as cold as the ice rink or foods that resemble hockey gear!
- Label traditional party foods with fun names. Serve medallion-shaped tater tots and call them “Tater Pucks” and call pretzel sticks “hockey sticks.” Serve treats that match your favorite hockey team. Try “Caps Ice Cream” (vanilla with Snow Caps©), “Devils’ Food Cake,” or “Flyers Chicken Wings.”
- Decorate a rectangular sheet cake to look like a hockey rink using red, white and blue frosting. Place small hockey player decorations on top of the hockey cake.
- Dip chocolate crème cookies in melted chocolate to create “hockey puck” cookies.
- Mold rice cereal treats around the ends of pretzel rods to create hockey stick shapes. You can dip the rice cereal treat end of the stick into multi-colored melting chocolates.
- Make a round layer cake and cover it with black fondant to look like a hockey puck. Write “Happy Birthday on it in the colors of his favorite team
- Serve your hockey party snacks in trophy cups or popcorn bags.
Hockey Party Favor Ideas
Send your hockey party guests home with a smile with hockey favors such as:
- Sports trophies and toys
- Hockey equipment
- Water bottles and sports accessories
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child’s next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games & Activities
Use balloon instead of a puck for a fun version of hockey you can play indoors.
Put your skills to the test with some fun practice drills that you can do outside any time of year.
Test their knowledge of sport at your Hockey party.
All kids love coloring and these sports pages are great for hockey fans as well as fans of all sports.
Put your own twist on this game by hiding hockey favors for them to find.
Hockey champs are strong so test their strength with this funny balloon popping game.