Harry Potter Party Ideas
Transform your child and his or her guests from Muggles to wizards with our Harry Potter Party Ideas! We have suggestions for everything from invitations to activities that will ensure a mystical birthday bash no one will forget!
Shop our Magic Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Harry Potter Invitations
Harry Potter Decorations
Harry Potter Food
Harry Potter Party Favors
Harry Potter Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic magical party supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins, and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Harry Potter party:
Harry Potter Party Invitations
- Harry Potter movies, soundtracks or video games
- A Selection of Magic Tricks
- A Pinata
- You may also want to consider hiring a magician to come perform for your guests. If budget is an issue, ask a neighbor or close friend to learn some basic magic tricks to perform at the party.
Invitations are an important part of your planning because they give the first impression of your party to your guests. If you have the time to make your own invitations, here are a few ideas to consider for your Harry Potter party:
- Fold a piece of cardstock in half to create a top-fold card. If you are artistic, draw the Hogwarts crest on the front. If not, scan a picture of the crest and print it directly on the front of the card. Underneath the crest, write, "You are Invited..." Write all your party details inside.
- On a rectangular piece of cardstock, draw curtains along the top and the side to resemble a movie theater screen. On the bottom, draw a line of movie theater seats. Write "A Harry Potter Birthday Party" on the top of the 'screen' and the party details underneath, so it looks like the title of a movie, followed by the credits.
- Punch a hole in the corner of a card-style invitation and attach it to a magic wand. Ask your guests to bring their wand with them to the party.
- Create a top-fold card and divide the front of the card into four squares. Write one of the Hogwarts house names in each square (i.e. Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff). Inside the card, write "Which house will be chosen for you? Come to [child's name] birthday party to find out!" followed by the party details.
- Include creative wording for your party details, such as:
We are pleased to inform you that you have been invited to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to celebrate the birthday of [child's name]. You will find the magical door to the event at [party location]. Muggle attire is acceptable. Please RSVP by owl or Muggle phone at [phone number] by [RSVP date] to accept the invitation.
- If you would rather not make your own invitations, but would still like a personalized touch, consider our Personalized Invitations, which include all the party details for you!
Decorating & Food Ideas
Harry Potter Party Decorations
Transform your party area into a page out of the Harry Potter series with some 'mystical' decorations:
Harry Potter Party Food Ideas
- Make a "Sorting Hat" by cutting a cone shape from a 24" x 18" piece of purple poster board, as shown below. Roll it into a cone, and tape or staple it closed. Cut out star and crescent moon shapes from yellow construction paper, and glue them onto the hat. As each guest arrives, put the hat over his or her head and announce that they have been chosen to the [child's last name]'s house! Then, use the Sorting Hat as a centerpiece.
- Tie groups of three or four balloons together and tie them to the backs of chairs. Anchor them with balloon weights and set them near doorways or in the corners of the party area.
- Hang two or three stuffed owls from the ceiling of the party area.
- Cut a large lightning bolt out of white poster board and spray paint it silver. Hang it on the door leading to the party.
- Create placemats that represent the four houses of Hogwarts using plain white construction paper and colored markers. Write one of the house names on each placemat, and decorate them with the appropriate colors:
- Slytherin: Green and Silver
- Gryffindor : Scarlet and Gold
- Hufflepuff: Yellow and White
- Ravenclaw: Blue and Silver
When it comes to food, your guests would most likely be perfectly happy with pizza or hotdogs. However, if you would like to include some Harry Potter themed snacks, consider these ideas:
Harry Potter Hogwarts Cake Idea
- Serve "Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans." We suggest using Jelly Belly brand jelly beans because of the wide variety of flavors available.
- Make edible magic wands by dipping pretzel sticks in melted chocolate, letting them cool, and then sprinkling one tip with coconut or white sprinkles.
- Use a lightning bolt shaped cookie cutter to cut out slices of cheese and serve them with crackers. Serve shaped Jell-o jigglers, cookies, and sandwiches as well.
- Make chocolate frogs using chocolate chips and gummy frogs (available at candy stores). Microwave one cup of chocolate chips for one minute or until melted, and stir. Dip the gummy frogs in the melted chocolate, and then place them on wax paper to cool. Keep the frogs chilled until you're ready to serve them.
- Serve "magic potion". Freeze cranberry and grape juice in ice cube trays before the party. Serve a colorless soda at the party, such as ginger ale or lemon-lime. Let your guests select their ice cubes, which will "magically" change the color of their drinks.
- There are a number of treats from the Harry Potter stories that are made from everyday products, such as Butter Beer (root beer), Chocoballs (chocolate covered strawberry mousse balls), Fizzing Whizbees (sherbet balls), Rock Cakes (randomly shaped cakes with raisins), chocolate eclairs, and licorice wands.
Create a castle out of cake with the following instructions.
- Use our chocolate cake recipe or yellow cake recipeto make the cake batter.
- Make the frosting using our Buttercream frosting recipe.
- Bake two 8" or 9" square cakes, and stack them with frosting between the two layers.
- Frost the entire cake and four ice cream cones in light green frosting.
- Set the cones upside down by the four corners of the cake to create turrets.
- Stick miniature flags on toothpicks into the cones. If your child has tiny Harry Potter LEGO figures, stand them around the castle.
Party Favor Ideas
Harry Potter Party Favors
Put a smile on your guests' faces by sending them home with party favors that fit your theme. You could give one large favor, such as one of the Harry Potter novels or movie tickets; or combine smaller favors such as:
- A magic wand
- A book of magic tricks
- Harry Potter stickers, pencils and stationary items
- Plastic Harry Potter glasses
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
The Harry Potter name and all related characters and elements are the property of Warner Bros. Ent. This guide is not affiliated with or endorsed by Warner Bros. Ent.
- Magic Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Magic Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Teams will race to see who can transform their Boggart into a mummy the fastest.
Peeves the Poltergeist has hidden the cake! Your guests must follow the clues to find it.
Children can make their own magical creatures with this fun craft.
The birthday child can amaze his guests by making a potion right in front of them.
Players take turns acting out scary creatures that the Boggart becomes.
Let your guests taste test a variety of "Bertie Bott's" many flavored jelly beans.
Your guests will love decorating our printable Boy Wizard coloring page.
Kids will love chasing and protecting the Snitch in this fun, outdoor game.