Score a touchdown at your football fan’s next birthday with a tailgate football party! Read on for football birthday party decorating, food, invitation and game ideas. Ready? Set? Hike!
Shop our Football Party Supplies
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic Football party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your child’s Football party:
- Soft foam footballs
- Construction cones
- Football jerseys
- Popcorn bags
- A barbeque grill
- Face paint
- Big foam fingers
- A Pinata (Right)
Invite your starting lineup to the football birthday party of the year with creative invitations! Here’s the play-by-play:
- Attach a card-style invitation to one of our personalized football party products or a football backpack clip with curling ribbon. Simply punch a hole in one corner of the football party invitation and
- Include a sports sticker or temporary tattoo with your football party invitations and seal the envelope with a personalized football party sticker with a fun message or the party details.
- Cut the shape of a football out of brown construction paper. Draw stitching on the football with glue and then sprinkle silver glitter on top. After the glue dries, write your party details on the back of the invitation.
- Take a photo of your child wearing their favorite team jersey and football helmet. Print out enough 4 x 6 copies of the photo for each guest. Glue white construction paper to the back of the photo and write all the party details on it.
- Deliver your invitation with a mini foam football, team socks, or a sports headband. On your invitation you can write the following poem:Tony’s ready to tackle another birthday,
Come celebrate with our team as we shout “hip-hooray!”
Attention all quarterbacks, players and fans,
Just RSVP to follow our game plan!
- Use your child’s favorite team colors to inspire your color choices for table covers, balloons, crepe paper streamers and cutlery.
- Ask your guests to arrive wearing their favorite team’s jersey or t-shirt. For guests who do not have a jersey to wear, provide white t-shirts that can be decorated with fabric markers.
- Purchase football cards or sports stickers and scatter them around the party table along with confetti.
- Use masking tape to place white yard markers on a green table cover to turn it into a football field. Build goal posts out of white LEGO bricks and place them at each end of the table.
- If it’s football season, find a football game on TV that your guests might enjoy watching. Make sure you adjust the volume when you need to get the children’s attention during games and cake.
- Ask an adult to dress in a football uniform and pose with the children for photos! Mail the photos with your thank you cards.
If the weather is nice, have a tailgate party and throw some burgers, chicken and hotdogs on the grill. Remember to cut your servings into small portions so that food is not wasted. Here are some other tasty treats you can serve at your football party.
- Serve popcorn in traditional popcorn bags. Set out various toppings your guests can add, such as caramel sauce, powdered cheese, melted butter and cinnamon.
- Serve drinks like fruit punch, lemonade and root beer in stadium cups with silly straws.
- Football can be a messy sport. Serve dirt cups to complement your football party theme.
- Sliders: Pound ground beef into a thin sheet about 1-inch thick. Cut the meat into squares. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook the burgers in a skillet on the stove or place the skillet on a barbeque grill. Top with cheddar cheese and serve on mini hamburger rolls. Don’t forget to provide your guests condiments.
- Touchdown Foot Longs: Wrap foot long hotdogs in crescent roll dough and bake at 350° until the rolls are just brown. You can also wrap American or cheddar cheese between the hotdogs and crescent dough before baking. Slice the baked crescent dogs into quarters and serve with spicy mustard.
- Football Cake Idea (Pictured): Use our football cake pan to make a quick football shaped cake or make your own jersey shaped cake. Bake two 9 x 13 cakes. If you need a cake batter recipe, try our chocolate cake. Once the cakes are cool, frost between the two layers. Then carve the cake into the shape of a jersey. Use the icing to write his/her name and number, like a jersey.
- Seven Layer Taco Dip: In a medium bowl, blend together 1 ounce of taco seasoning and 1 can of refried beans. In another bowl, mix together 1 package of cream cheese and 16-ounces of sour cream. Place the bean mixture on a large serving platter. Next, spread the cream cheese mixture on top. Spread one jar of salsa on top. Add layers of tomato, green bell peppers, green onions and lettuce. Finally, top with 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. If you like, garnish the dip with 1 can of drained black olives.
- Team Trail Mix: Create a trail mix that represents your child’s favorite football team. Mix together several corn and rice cereal brands (such as Kix and Rice Chex) with raisins and M&M candies that match the team’s colors (for example, red and yellow could represent the Kansas City Chiefs).
Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests with kickin’ party favors! To find a large variety of football party favors, visit our Football party page and click the “Party Favors” tab or the “More Fun Stuff” tab. Some of the favors we have include: Mini foam footballs, Sports pencils and notepads, Trophies, Football backpack clips, Sports poppers, Bubbles, Reusable backpacks, and Fun-shaped candy
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Football Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Football Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child’s next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Teams of two compete in a football tossing game.
Find out how fast your little players can hike a football down the line.
Here’s how to fold a paper football and play the game.
Training Obstacle Course
Get your football players in gear with this fun outdoor challenge.
Practice throwing footballs through hoops to score big!
Partygoers will get a kick out of this indoor version of football.
Print out this free coloring page to give to guests at your party.