Whether you’re looking for a fun, festive theme for your next event or are trying to plan a Cinco de Mayo celebration, pull inspiration from south of the border with our Fiesta Party Ideas. In this planning guide, you’ll find tips for themed invitations, decorations, party games, and more that will make your next party a success!
Shop all our Fiesta Party Supplies
Planning & Invitations
A fiesta party is a theme that works very well both indoors and out. If the weather’s nice, you can bring the high-spirited celebration outside with banners and streamers tied to trees. During colder months, keep the party inside and use artificial plants and flowers to create a Mexican fiesta party atmosphere. Determine what will work best for your occasion with the assistance of our tips about when and where to have the party!
What Do I Need For the Party?
You will need basic party supplies such as plates, napkins, cups, and cutlery, a tablecloth, streamers, and balloons for your Mexican party. Check out our suggested party supply list for more ideas of what you may want for your celebration.
Start building excitement for your event early with unique, DIY invitations! If you have the time to make your own invitations, here are a few suggestions to fit your theme:
- Cut a sombrero shape out of gold cardstock and decorate the border with red glitter glue. Write your party details in the middle area.
- Use clip art of chili peppers or a Mariachi band to surround the particulars of your occasion and then print them on cardstock.
- Attach strips of paper to the invite to make it resemble a piñata.
- Cut a circular shape out of colored construction paper and fold it in half to make it look like a taco shell. Write the info for your occasion on the front of the shell.
- Decorate the outline of your card with scrunched up pieces of brightly colored tissue paper.
If you would rather not make your invitations, opt for personalized Fiesta invitations, which can be printed with all of your party’s custom details!
Set the scene for your Mexican party with these ideas:
- Hang a banner above the entrance to the party area that reads “Welcome to [child’s name]’s Birthday Fiesta”.
- Make large, colorful tissue paper flowers to decorate tables, chairs etc.
- Twist together green, white and red streamers and drape them from the ceiling to pay tribute to the colors on the Mexican flag. The streamers should cascade from a bow in the middle of the ceiling (or from a chandelier, if you have one) to the sides of the room.
- Hang streamers in a doorway to make a curtain that the children can walk through.
- Hang papel picado banners throughout the party area. Papel picado is a style of paper cutting popular in Mexico. Cut or punch out various images in the paper (tissue paper or construction paper can be used), and then attach them along strings to create banners.
- Use a large sombrero as the centerpiece for the food table.
- Play mariachi, salsa, or Mexican folk music.
- Hang small clear twinkle lights around doorways and windows. For a party outdoors, hang the lights in trees.
- Fill red, green, and white balloons with helium and tie them together in groups of five to make eye-catching centerpieces. Anchor the groups around the party space with balloon weights, and tie one group to the back of the birthday girl’s chair.
- Hang a piñata in the party area that can be used as a decoration before the activity begins. Remember, you can transform any piñata into a pull-string with these easy instructions.
A Mexican fiesta party wouldn’t be complete without delicious Mexican food! Use these suggestions to create your party menu:
- Tortilla chips, served with salsa and guacamole
- Make a taco bar so the children can add only the ingredients they like
- Cheese quesadillas cut into wedges
- Spanish rice
- Mexican style beans or refried beans
- Sweet and flaky churros (try our recipe)
- Make kid’s sangria by mixing grape juice with lemon-lime soda and slices of oranges and lemons
- In cold weather, opt for Mexican Hot Chocolate.
- Create a themed birthday cake, for instance, you can bake a 9″X13″ cake and cut it into the shape of a cactus. You can then cover it with green frosting and then add toothpicks to make the spines.
Party Favor Ideas
Say, “gracias” to guests for coming by sending them home from your child’s party with favors that celebrate the theme of the bash! Some suggestions include:
- Small maracas
- Sidewalk chalk
- Confetti poppers
- Mini sombreros
- Personalized favors like bag tags, zipper pulls, and magnets
For more Fiesta ideas, check us out on Pinterest.
More Birthday Theme Ideas
Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child’s next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Children recycle empty containers to make their own maracas.
Use mariachi music for this version of the game!
This traditional party game is perfect for a fiesta!
Let your guests make a traditional confetti-filled egg with this craft.
This hot chocolate recipe adds cinnamon into the mix!
Just how low can you go? Find out with a game of Limbo!
Create big, festive flowers out of colorful tissue paper and pipe cleaner.
Have your guests play this classic game to use up some excess energy!
Make jewelry from licorice strings, round candies, and cereal.
Print out this free Fiesta coloring page to give to guests at your party.
This sweet treat is common in many parts of the world and is easy to make.
Here’s an easy to follow churro recipe everyone will love!