Elmo Party Ideas
Does your toddler love watching "Elmo's World" on Sesame Street? Does he or she spend hours interacting with a Tickle Me Elmo or Elmo Live! Doll? Then throw him or her a party with our Elmo Party Ideas, complete with suggestions for make-your-own invitations and party food!
Shop all our Sesame Street Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Elmo Party Food
Elmo Party Favors
Elmo Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic Elmo Party Supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Elmo party:
Elmo First Birthday Ideas
- An Elmo Movie, such as "The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland", "Elmo & Friends - Tales of Adventure", or "Sesame Street - Elmo Loves You!"
- A chalkboard and chalk
- "Sesame Street - The Best of Elmo" CD
- Picture books
- Blocks, stuffed animals, and other toddler-friendly toys
- A pinata
A Elmo party theme is tons of fun for all ages. There are a few simple steps you can take to create an Elmo 1st Birthday Party
appropriate for babies and toddlers.
Elmo Party Invitation Ideas
- Browse our First Birthday Party Ideas Guide for some basic tips on planning a Elmo party for babies.
- Invite your Elmo party guests with our Elmo 1st Birthday Invitations.
- Decorate the birthday child's highchair with a>Elmo 1st Birthday Highchair Kit and a>Sesame Street 1st birthday bib.
- Bake or buy a small Elmo cake or cupcake just for the birthday child to smash into! Decorate with an Elmo candle and provide a separate cake for your adult Elmo party guests.
If you have the time to make your own invitations, here are a few ideas to consider for your Elmo birthday party:
- If you would rather not make your own invitations, but would still like a personalized touch, consider our Sesame Street invitations or>Fuzzy Friend Personalized Invitations, which include all the party details for you!
- Cut a circle out of red construction paper to serve as Elmo's head. Use colored construction paper for the details - black for a mouth, orange for a nose, and white for eyes. Write your party details in silver marker on the back.
- Have Elmo's pet fish Dorothy give your guests the party details! Cut the shape of a fish bowl out of blue construction paper. Draw pebbles and plants on the bottom. Paste a goldfish cutout in the middle, with a bubble coming out of her mouth that includes all the party details.
- Punch a hole in the corner of a card-style invitation and attach it to an Elmo zipper pull as a special gift to get your guests excited.
- Cut three circles out of colored construction paper. Glue them together so they overlap a bit. Punch a hole in the bottom of each circle and attach a small strand of ribbon. The finished product will resemble balloons. Decorate the two outer balloons with Elmo stickers and include the party details on the middle balloon.
- Include creative wording for your party details, such as:
On Sesame Street lives a friendly monster,
He likes to giggle and has lots of red fur.
Who is it? Elmo of course! And he wants to say,
We hope you can make it to Sammy's birthday!
Decorating & Food Ideas
Elmo Party Decoration Ideas
Make your little guests giggle with glee by using decorations that fit your theme! Here are a few Elmo party ideas:
Elmo Party Food Ideas
- Use primary colors (blue, red, yellow) for your traditional party decorations such as streamers and balloons. Tie three to five balloons together to place around the party area.
- Add Mylar balloons to some of your balloon groups.
- Create a large "Sesame Street" sign out of green butcher paper. Stencil on the letters and hang it on one wall of your party area.
- Hang a banner above the entrance to the party area that reads "Yippee!! Hooray!! You Came to [birthday child]'s Birthday!" Take a look at our banners and let us do the work for you!
- Cut large letters and numbers out of brightly-colored construction paper to hang from the ceiling.
- Fill a fish bowl with water, paste a label to the front that says "Dorothy," and add a plastic goldfish.
- Play the "Sesame Street - The Best of Elmo" CD as background music.
- Place a group of stuffed animals on a large blanket where the children can sit during playtime.
- Set a bubble machine in one corner of the room.
It can be fun for the host and the guests to include theme-specific treats during the party. For an Elmo birthday party, consider the following ideas:
Elmo Cake Idea
- Use a cookie cutter in the shape of the age your child is turning to cut peanut butter sandwiches, cheese slices, and deli meat slices.
- Make homemade pretzels in the shape of an E, L, M, and O. Sprinkle them with parmesan cheese, or cinnamon and sugar.
- For very young guests, set out a selection of teething biscuits and dry cereal in bright-colored bowls.
- Serve goldfish crackers with a little tent card that reads "Dorothy Snacks!"
- Serve water, juice and milk with silly straws. For a special treat, serve Jazzed Up Juice!
- Individual cupcakes, instead of a full cake, can be fun and more manageable for a toddler party. Frost the cupcakes in red frosting, and add mini marshmallow eyes, an orange gumdrop nose and a black licorice mouth. Place chocolate chips on top of the mini marshmallows to look like eyeballs.
- If you would like to serve cake, try creating an Elmo cake with the following instructions.
- Bake a round cake and frost the entire thing in red frosting.
- Use a knife to create waves in the frosting so it looks like Elmo's fur.
- Use marshmallow fluff or white frosting to make the eyes.
- Use Junior Mints for the eyeballs.
- Create a long oval shaped nose using orange icing.
- Finally, draw a black mouth using decorator icing.
Or, simply use an>Elmo Cake Pan to make an Elmo cake.
Party Favor Ideas
Elmo Party Favors
Put a smile on your guests' faces by sending them home with party favors that fit your Sesame Street theme. To find a large variety of Elmo party favors, visit our Elmo party page
and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Sesame Street sticker and activity books
- Hi bounce balls
- Swirl lollipops
- Bath time toys
- Shaped silly rubber bands
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Elmo Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Elmo Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Download our face painting idea sheet and then paint your guest's faces!
Host a spelling bee using birthday related words.
Kids will love following Elmo in this version of "Simon Says."
We've substituted Elmo in this version of the game!
The first letter of the birthday child's name is the letter of the day in this word game.
The birthday child's age is the number of hidden items in this game.
For this outdoor game, children form two lines and try to break through the other team's line.
Print out copies of our coloring page and let your guests decorate them.