Dragon Party Ideas
If your brave little knight loves to train or slay dragons, having a dragon birthday party will make his spirits soar! Read on for suggestions on dragon party invitations, decorations, food, games, and more!
Shop our Movie Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Dragon Party Favors
Dragon Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For The Party?
In addition to basic Medieval Knight party supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Dragon party:
Dragon Birthday Invitations
- Dragon movies like Pete's Dragon (G), Mulan (G), The Neverending Story (PG), Shrek (PG), How to Train Your Dragon (PG), Eragon (PG), The Quest for Camelot (G), or Puff the Magic Dragon (G).
- Knight costumes or dragon masks
- Dragon figurines
- Inflatable swords and shields
- An inflatable bouncy castle
If you want to get creative and make your own invitations for your dragon birthday party, here are some ideas for inspiration.
- Make the invitations look like old parchment by staining them with tea. To do so, make a cup of plain tea. Then, using a paintbrush spread the tea on the paper until the desired effect is obtained.
- Address invitations in calligraphy, either by hand or using a computer font (i.e., Monotype Corsiva).
- Using a lighter, carefully burn the edges of the invitations to look like a dragon breathed fire on the paper! Doing this over a sink is best.
- Design directions to the party location to look like a treasure map with an "X" marking the spot.
Add a little fun to your invite by using a rhyme:
I'll tell you a tale of a boy who could fly,
It wasn't by plane, and it wasn't a lie.
It wasn't by train, and it wasn't by wagon,
The boy flew around on the back of a dragon!
Come take flight with Pete on March 4th at 2pm!
Decorating & Food Ideas
Dragon Party Decorations
Depending on what type of dragon your child likes, you can decorate your party accordingly. For example, a party based around the Chinese dragon would have black and red decor and a How to Train Your Dragon
party would have blue and green decor. For a general dragon birthday party, anything colorful goes. Here are some decorating tips for various dragon themes.
Dragon Party Food
- Hang paper lanterns or paper dragons for a Chinese dragon theme.
- Create fire flames out of construction paper to put on the walls.
- If your party is outside, have each activity in a different tent or "cave."
- Create a sign to post outside that reads "Here be monsters."
- Make a throne for the birthday child by draping dark red or gold fabric over a chair.
- Create dragon footprints out of construction paper to place on the floor from the door to the party area.
You can get creative with common party food by labeling them to coordinate with the dragon theme. Here are some examples as well as other food ideas to inspire you!
- Crispy Dragon Wings (fried chicken wings!)
- Dragon Scale Pizza (pepperoni pizza!)
- Dragon Tales (hot dogs)
- Dragon Breath Punch: Freeze orange and red-colored ice cubes (a combination of Kool-Aid and cranberry juice works well) before the party. At the party, serve a lemon-lime soda or ginger ale, and let each child drop in the "frozen dragon's breath" ice cube that will turn their drink into a magical treat!
For dessert and snacks try these yummy ideas.
- For cake, ask your local supermarket to design a Dragon cake... or try making your own cake, using red velvet for the cake batter!
- Fire roasted marshmallows — Prepare over a campfire on kabob sticks.
- Dragon Scales — Serve Doritos or pita chips in a bowl and label them "Dragon Scales."
Party Favor Ideas
Dragon Party Favors
Thank your trained dragons with awesome party favors! To find a large variety of dragon party favors, visit our Knight Party page
and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Temporary tattoos
- Dragon figures
- How to Train Your Dragon Helmets
- Inflatable swords and shields
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Medieval Knight Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Dragon Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
The leader tries to catch the tail without breaking up the line.
Challenge your guests to cross the moat without getting caught by the dragon.
Children will follow a treasure map to find treasure chosen just for them!
In this game a knight will sword fight a dragon to determine a winner!
Make adorable dragon sock puppets with your party guests!
In this storytelling game, kids will work together to write and illustrate a dragon story for the birthday child!
Children will play the classic "Simon Says" game with a dragon twist.
Hand out this free coloring page at your party.