Dinosaur Party Ideas
Throw a prehistoric birthday bash your little T-Rex will never forget with our Dinosaur Party Ideas! Read on for general party planning tips as well as great dinosaur decorating ideas, and food, game, and activity suggestions.
Shop all our Dinosaur Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Dinosaur Party Favors
Dinosaur Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic dinosaur party supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Dinosaur party:
dinosaur Party Invitation Ideas
- Dinosaur posters
- A sand box
- Bags of sand
- Large plastic "dinosaur" eggs
- Disposable cameras
- Dinosaur movies
- A Dinosaur pinata
Creative invitations build excitement before a party. If you have time to make your own, here are some ideas to get you started:
- Put each invitation inside a large plastic egg and call it a dinosaur egg. Place the plastic egg inside a clear cellophane bag with some green Easter grass and a small toy dinosaur, tie it closed with ribbon, and deliver to your guests.
- Cut out dinosaur footprints from construction paper and write the party details on one side.
- Fold construction paper in half to create a card, and decorate the front with foam dinosaurs from the craft store. Add the party details inside.
- Thinly roll out some play dough and cut out bone shapes with a small cookie cutter. Let them dry until firm, and then glue a bone to the front of each invitation.
- Use creative wording to describe the party details. You can use our example below, or write your own:
You're Invited to a Dino-mite Party!
Tyrannosaurus-Steve is Turning 5
Come to the Dinosaur Nesting Grounds: 123 Dinoplace Lane
Don't Be Extinct! RSVP to the prehistoric parents: 555-123-4567
- Seal the envelopes with dinosaur stickers.
- For a special touch, let us print personalized dinosaur invitations for you! We'll include your child's name and all the party details on a background design that complements your theme. You can also take a look at the blank dinosaur invitations we offer, which are quick to fill in and mail.
Decorating & Food Ideas
Dinosaur Party Decorating Ideas
Prehistoric Party Food
- Make inexpensive caveman costumes for your guests to wear (no sewing required!). Just cut a hole in the center of a piece of faux fur or animal print fabric to fit a child's head. Secure the costume in place with a rope belt tied around the child's waist.
- Draw large dinosaur footprints in chalk on the pavement leading to your door.
- If you have a sand box, fill it with sand and lay out "dinosaur bones" on top and buried beneath. Later this can be an activity as your guests dig up the bones!
- Make a banner saying "Welcome to the (your last name) Dinosaur Dig" and hang it near the party entrance. See our selection of Dinosaur Banners and let us do the work for you!
- Use your child's toy dinosaurs to decorate the party area. Group them together on tables, and place some dinosaurs around the cake plate.
- Make a volcano centerpiece (see Erupting Volcano activity), and place dry ice in the center to create the effect of steam rising.
- Decorate with big rocks and ferns. You can use wide green crepe paper to cut out fern leaves if you don't have access to live ones.
- Let the kids be cave men and create their own drawings on a large cardboard box! Cut the box open so more sides are available, and set out crayons and washable markers. This could be a good way to start the party, while you wait for all the guests to arrive. Be sure to take photos of the guests in front of their creation!
- Stuff brown paper grocery bags with newspaper to create "rocks" and place three or four together in the corners of the party area.
- Hang dinosaur posters on the walls at a child's eye level.
- Make balloon dinosaurs for the children. Use our easy Balloon Animals Kit, which includes an instruction book, balloons, and balloon inflator.
When it comes to food, partygoers are usually perfectly content to eat pizza or hotdogs, which is certainly much easier on the hosts! However, if you have the time and would like to serve up some dishes from the prehistoric age, consider these ideas:
Dinosaur Volcano Cake Idea
- Decorate the food table with your houseplants, dinosaur figures, and large rocks.
- Label the food with creative dinosaur-related names, like Dinosaur Bones (pretzel sticks), Dino Dogs, Tyrannosaurus Burgers, Pterodactyl Chicken Wings, and Dino Eggs (tater tots or grapes). You can also call ketchup Hot Lava!
- Cut sandwiches or slices of cheese using a bone or dinosaur-shaped cookie cutter.
- Dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets are often available in the frozen food section of the grocery store.
- Divide the food table into two sections. Mark one section "Herbivores" and the other "Carnivores". Place all non-meat items in the Herbivore section and all meat items in the Carnivore section.
- Make red Jell-O jigglers cut into shapes, and name them Lava Rocks.
- Serve sugar cookies made with a dinosaur cookie cutter and green frosting.
- Hide a piece of bone-shaped candy in a cup of chocolate pudding, and sprinkle crushed chocolate cookies on top as the "dirt." Tell the guests it is a dinosaur bone stuck in the mud, and let them eat their way to the candy bones.
- Serve drinks with shaped silly straws.
- Lay a Bundt cake on top of a 9" square cake.
- Completely cover the cake with chocolate frosting.
- Make orange frosting by adding 5 drops of red and 3 drops of yellow food coloring to a can of white frosting.
- Then slowly pour the orange frosting around the top to resemble lava flowing out of a volcano.
- Write a happy birthday message with white icing on the front of the volcano.
- Arrange plastic dinosaurs and trees around the bottom of the cake.
Party Favor Ideas
Dinosaur Party Favors
Thank your guests with dino-mite party favors! To find a large variety of dinosaur party favors, visit our dinosaur party page
and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Temporary dinosaur tattoos or stickers
- Small binoculars
- Dinosaur wind-up toys
- Rock candy and Dinosaur candy
- Dinosaur figurines
- Dinosaur finger puppets
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Dinosaur Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Dinosaur Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Your guests will love decorating our printable Dinosaur coloring page.
Create an explosive experience that your guests will admire.
An exciting T-Rex game that younger children will enjoy.
Here's some muddy prehistoric slop that children will love to make and eat.
Guests will love this exciting take on the game of tag.
Partygoers will struggle to stay out of the lava in this tug of war game.
Quiz your guests on their knowledge of the dinosaurs.
During this version of "hide and seek," all of the players eventually disappear.
Send your young paleontologists on a search for special prehistoric eggs.
Partygoers will love creating their very own hatching dinosaur.
Send the children to dig for dinosaur bones!