The beauty and grace of butterflies is unmistakable and captivating to children of all ages, so why not throw a party in their honor? Our Butterfly Party Ideas include suggestions for invitations, activities, and more, to get all your guests aflutter!
Shop our Butterfly Party Supplies
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic Butterfly party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Butterfly party:
- Butterfly Wings for each guest
- A bubble machine
- Butterfly nets
- >Butterfly headbands
- Butterfly mobiles
- Fresh or silk flowers
- A>butterfly pinata
If you want convenient butterfly invitations with a personalized touch, consider our Personalized Butterfly Invitations, which include the birthday child’s name and all the party details for you! We also offer blank>butterfly invitations that you can fill in yourself.
Unique, homemade invitations can really get you in the mood for a butterfly birthday party! If you have the time to make your own party invitations, here are a few ideas to consider:
- Attach a card-style invitation to one of our personalized butterfly party supplies or>butterfly net with a length of>curling ribbon by punching a hole in one corner of the butterfly invitation. Hand deliver the butterfly invitations to your guests.
- Include a>butterfly sticker and some confetti with each butterfly party invitation and seal the envelope with a personalized butterfly party sticker with party information or a fun message on it!
- Cut a piece of pastel-colored cardstock into a butterfly shape. Decorate it with markers and>glitter glue. Leave enough blank space in the middle of the card to write your party details in gold or silver pen.
- Take a picture of the birthday girl dressed up in a butterfly costume. Print the photo onto one side of a piece of cardstock, so when you fold the card, the photo is on the front. Write your party details inside.
- Fold a piece of green cardstock in half to create a top-fold card. On the front, draw grass, flowers, bushes and trees. Paste butterfly stickers in the scene. Write your party details inside.
- Include creative wording for your party details, such as:We’re having a party and you are invited,
We hope you can come, we’re all so excited!
It’s Katie’s 5th birthday with a butterfly theme,
So flutter on over for cake and ice cream!
Keep the party fluttering along with butterfly decorations that fit your theme. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Group bunches of latex and Mylar balloons together around the party area. Add>butterfly balloons
- Hang tulle netting on the walls and ceiling of the party area. Hang mini butterflies and flowers (purchased at the craft store) on the netting.
- Hang a banner above the entrance to the party area that reads “Welcome to [child’s name]’s Butterfly Party!” Take a look at our Butterfly Banners for inspiration.
- Cut large butterfly shapes out of butcher paper and lay them on the ground leading up to the party entrance.
- Set out vases of silk or fresh flowers.
- Cut large flowers out of colorful felt or construction paper and tack them to the walls of the party area.
- If you have a ceiling fan in your party area, hang plastic or paper butterflies from each of the blades and turn the fan on low. The butterflies will fly above your party.
Make your guests butterfly-themed party food so they have the energy to fly through the rest of the party!
- Serve butterfly bagels. Slice a bagel in half, and then slice the halves in half so you have four pieces. Lay two pieces back to back to form butterfly wings. Add cream cheese, sliced fruit, small candies, and other decorations to create a beautiful butterfly.
- Clip a clothes pin in the center of a clear zipper bag. Fill either side of the bag with candies, popcorn, trail mix, pretzels or other small snacks to make a colorful butterfly snack bag! Add googly eyes or pipe cleaner antennae to the clothespin to complete the look.
- Fill candy bowls with bright-colored M&Ms and Skittles.
- Cut peanut butter sandwiches, cheese slices, and deli meat with butterfly cookie cutters.
- Use toothpicks to stick grapes together in a straight line. Add two carrot slivers to one end to serve as antennae. Call these Caterpillar Snacks.
- Serve lemonade, juice, and water with>flower silly straws.
- Serve a butterfly cake. Bake a 9″ round cake. Cut the cake in half and turn the two pieces back to back so they resemble wings or use our>Butterfly cake pan. Decorate with different colors of frosting to create a colorful butterfly.
Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests for fluttering by with a garden full of party favors! To find a large variety of butterfly party favors, visit our Butterfly Party page and click the “Party Favors” tab or the “More Fun Stuff” tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Butterfly notepads and pencils
- Butterfly straws
- Butterfly rings, necklaces and bracelets
- Butterfly stickers and temporary tattoos
- Bug Nets
- Shaped lollipops and swirl lollipops
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Butterfly Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Butterfly Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child’s next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Hand out this coloring page as an ice-breaking activity at the start of the party.
Let your guests relax with a quiet activity of figuring out scrambled words.
This easy and inexpensive craft lets your guests show their creative side.
Your guests will love making butterflies with this fun origami activity.
See which team can “hold on” long enough to make it to the finish line.
Fill the air with bubbles in different shapes and sizes.
This scavenger hunt is a simple and fun way to entertain a large group of children during an outside party.
A great outdoor game that can be competitive, or just for fun!
Guests toss plastic insects into a set of flowerpots in this fun game.