If your child is fascinated by crawling critters, throw a Bug birthday party! This planning guide has ideas for bug party invitations, decorations, buggy food and games, and bug party supplies.
Shop all our Bug Party Supplies
Planning & Invitations
A bug party works very well outdoors. During colder months, keep the party inside and use artificial plants to create a bug habitat. For additional ideas on where to have your bug party, see our article on When and Where to Have the Party.
What Do I Need For the Party?
You will need basic party supplies such as plates, napkins, cups, and cutlery; a table cover, streamers, and balloons. If you want to use Bug theme supplies instead of solid colors, see our selection of Bug Party Supplies. To help with your shopping, take a look at our Suggested Party Supply List. You may not need everything on the list, but you can use it as a guide.
For added fun at your bug party, buy, rent or borrow the following:
- Bug box craft kits
- Bug viewers
- Bug cake supplies
- Bug nets
- Bug stickers and temporary tattoos
- Bug candy
- Bug toys
- Bug costumes
Bug Party Invitations
Creative invitations will excite your guests for your child’s birthday party and increase attendance. If you have the time, consider making your own invitations or browse our bug theme personalized invitations and blank bug party invitations. Here are some invitation ideas that will make your bug party a smash hit!
If you have the time to make your own bug party invitations, here are a few suggestions:
- Attach a card-style invitation to one of our personalized bug party supplies or plastic bug windup toys with a length of curling ribbon by punching a hole in one corner of the bug invitation.
- Include a bug sticker and some confetti with each bug party invitation and seal the envelope with a personalized bug party sticker with party information or a fun message on it!
- Fold a piece of green cardstock in half to create a top-fold card. On the front, draw grass, flowers, bushes and a tree. Place bug stickers in the scene. Write your party details inside.
- Cut bug shapes out of cardstock and outline the silhouette with glitter glue. Write the party details on the back of the bug party invitation.
- Include creative wording for your party details, such as:
Have You Heard the Buzz?
It’s a Buggy Birthday Party for Greyson
Bee There: June 14 at 2 PM
Fly on Over to: 123 Bugsonalog Way
Give Us a Buzz at: 555-123-4567
- Hand out bug party headbands to your bug party guests instead of traditional paper birthday party hats.
- Mix>Mylar bug balloons with solid latex balloons in bunches around the bug party area.
- Use colored string or yarn to make a simple spider web across the front door. Leave the string loose in the middle, and invite guests to step through the web to enter the party.
- Tape together green balloons to make a caterpillar banner. Write one letter of your child’s name on each balloon, and draw eyes and a smile on the first balloon to create the head. Hang the balloon caterpillar from the ceiling.
- Give each child bug antennae headband to wear during the party.
- Decorate tables, counters and windowsills with toy bugs.
- Choose green, yellow and red as the colors for balloons and streamers. Use a black marker to draw ladybug spots on red balloons and bumblebee stripes on yellow balloons. Fill balloons with helium and tie them together in groups of five. Anchor the groups around the party space with balloon weights, and tie one group to the back of the birthday child’s chair.
- Hang a bug pinata in the party area that can be used as a decoration before the activity begins. Remember, you can transform any pinata into a pull-string with these easy instructions.
- Flies on a Log-Fill celery stick “logs” with peanut butter or cream cheese, and add raisins on top as the flies.
- Cocoons – Mini pigs in a blanket snacks.
- Submarine sandwiches cut into pieces and arranged to look like a caterpillar. Add olive slice eyes and a strip of red pepper for the smile.
- Ladybug Fruit Treats-Cut a red apple in half, and cut out the core and seeds. Push chocolate chips point-first into the apple’s skin to make the ladybug’s spots. (Note: You may want to poke small starter holes using the tip of a knife, making it easier to push in the chocolate chips.) Serve each Ladybug on a green lettuce leaf.
- Serve Worms in Dirt
- Caterpillar Snacks – Use toothpicks to stick grapes together in a straight line. Add two carrot slivers to one end to serve as antennae.
- Chocolate covered raisins (labeled as “flies”), gummy worms, and other bug-shaped candies.
- Use various cookie cutters to bake sugar cookies shaped like butterflies or other bugs. Set out small cups of colorful icing, sprinkles, and small candies, and let your guests decorate their own cookies.
- Butterfly Birthday Cake – Bake a 9″ round cake. Cut the cake in half and turn the two pieces back to back so they resemble wings. Decorate with different colors of frosting to create a colorful butterfly. You can also use a ladybug cake pan or butterfly cake pan.
- Cupcake Bugs – For butterfly cupcakes, bake your favorite cupcake recipe and frost in white frosting. Lay a gummy worm on top and stick a vanilla wafer diagonally into the frosting on either side of the worm as the wings. Complete the butterfly look with a blueberry to serve as the head.
- Make a fudge spider for each guest.
Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests with awesome party favors! To find a large variety of bug party favors, visit our Ladybug party page and click the “Party Favors” tab or the “More Fun Stuff” tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Wind-up bugs
- Bug viewers
- Bug gummy candy
- Bug stickers and temporary tattoos
- Bee costumes
- Pom pom head boppers
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Bug Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Bug Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child’s next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Send your little sprouts out to round up plastic bugs hidden in the grass.
Partygoers will test their aim in this exciting egg toss game.
See which team can “hold on” long enough to make it to the finish line.
Create caterpillar magnets with this fun and cute craft.
Partygoers will have a blast with this combination game & craft activity.
Your guests will love making butterflies with this fun origami activity.
This scavenger hunt is a simple and fun way to entertain a large group of children during an outside party.
Get your little ladybugs hopping from leaf to leaf in this variation of Musical Chairs.
Test the players’ teamwork as they try to untangle strands of yarn to get to their prizes.
This easy and inexpensive craft lets your guests show their creative side.
In this active game, the children are frogs trying to swat as many bubble “flies” as possible.
The children can make necklaces, bracelets, or key chains with this fun craft.
Kids will enjoy this springtime version of Pin the Tail on the Donkey.
Any “bugs” caught by the “caterpillar” attach to the caterpillar and help catch other bugs.
Print out this free Bug coloring page to give to guests at your party.