If your little one loves to follow the adventures of Pablo, Tyrone, Uniqua, and the rest of the backyard explorers, then throw him or her an imaginative party with our Backyardigans Party Ideas! We have compiled creative ideas for everything from invitations to party favors so your party is a success!
Shop our Nick Jr. Party Supplies
Planning & Invitations
One of your first decisions will be where to host your Backyardigans Party. Hosting a party in your own backyard is a great option, as you have a little more freedom to be creative with your decorating and activity choices. However, many want to host the party elsewhere, so for a Backyardigans theme, you may want to consider a park, a playground, or a recreation center. For additional ideas, see our article on When and Where to Have the Party.
What Do I Need For the Party?
You may also want to rent or purchase other items to fit your theme, such as:
- Plastic or>inflatable trees
- Episodes of The Backyardigans on DVD
- Outdoor Play Equipment such as a>jumbo parachute
- A Selection of Costume Items
To help you with your shopping, take a look at our Suggested Party Supply List. You may not need everything on the list, but you can use it as a guide.
If you would rather not make your own invitations, but would still like a personalized touch, consider our personalized invitations, which include the birthday child’s name and all the party details for you! Unique, homemade invitations can really get you in the party mood! If you have the time, here are a few ideas to consider:
- Punch a hole in one corner of a card-style invitation and attach it to one of our themed personalized party supplies such as a zipper pull with>curling ribbon.
- Seal your Backyardigans party envelopes with a personalized sticker printed with the party details or a fun birthday message.
- Cut a piece of blue cardstock into a circle. Cut out yellow strips of cardstock and paste them on so the finished product resembles Pablo’s beanie. Cut a red propeller shape out of red cardstock and glue it in the center of the circle. Write your party details on the back.
- Create different invitations for different guests, based on the characters in the show. For example, a pink polka dot invitation based on Uniqua; a purple invitation with a pouch on the front, based on Austin; or a yellow hippo-shaped invitation based on Tasha.
- Fold a piece of green cardstock in half to create a top-fold card. On the front, draw a backyard scene, complete with grass, flowers, trees, and rocks. Paste stickers of the Backyardigans in the scene. Write your party details inside.
- Include creative wording for your party details, such as:Come join Heidi and friends,
Together with The Backyardigans,
At a party where we’ll probably sing a song,
And we’ll maybe dance along…
We so hope you can come!
A fun idea for this theme is to decorate your party area based on your child’s favorite Backyardigans character. For example, decorating in all polka dots if he or she likes Uniqua; in all purple for Austin; or in shades of yellow for Tasha. For other ideas, see below.
- Balloons are a must at any party! Group together three to five helium balloons and anchor them with balloon weights around the party area. Add Mylar balloons to some of your balloon groups for added effect.
- Hang a banner above the entrance to the party area that reads “Come Join Your Friends at [child’s name]’s Backyardigans Party!” Take a look at our personalized banners and let us do the work for you!
- If you are not holding the party outside, lay down green butcher paper or cellophane wrap on the floor of the party area to give the impression of being outside. Set up fake trees along the walls as well.
- Set out any Backyardigans plush toys or figurines that your child may already have. These work well for centerpieces and decorations for windowsills.
- Cut large flowers out of colorful felt or construction paper and tack them to the walls of the party area.
- Play Backyardigans music (they have their own CD!) as background music during the party.
It can be fun for the host and the guests to include theme-specific treats during the party. For a Backyardigans Party, consider the following ideas:
- Serve mini pita pockets filled with tuna salad, turkey and cheese, or ham and cheese. Call these “Austin’s Kangaroo Pockets”.
- Set out small bowls filled with goldfish crackers and animal crackers.
- Make jello in a shallow pan in bright-colored flavors like cherry, lime, and blue raspberry. Once the jello sets, cut out star and flower shapes with cookie cutters.
- Serve chocolate milk, soda, juice, and water in a plastic stadium cups with silly straws.
- Set up an ice cream sundae bar with vanilla ice cream and bowls of different toppings, such as nuts, M&Ms, caramel sauce, sprinkles, sliced banana, and marshmallow crème. Tell your guests they are creating “Uniqua Ice Cream Sundaes”!
- Bake an easy Backyardigans cake by frosting a 9″x13″ cake in green frosting. Toss some coconut with green food coloring and sprinkle on top to resemble grass. Use cake supplies and accessories to decorate your cake. Add plastic trees and sugar flowers (or draw on flowers with decorator icing). Place plastic figurines of the Backyardigans characters huddled together in the middle of the cake.
- For young children, individual cupcakes may be more feasible than a full cake. Make Pablo Cupcakes for something extra special. Start by frosting your cupcakes in blue frosting. Then, add a yellow mouth and black and white eyes in decorator icing. Purchase mini propeller beanies at a craft or hobby store to place on the upper portion of the cupcake for the finishing touch.
Party Favor Ideas
Send your guests home feeling like real adventurers with party favors that fit your theme. Give one large favor, such as a CD or DVD, or combine smaller favors such as a>butterfly net, bubbles,>binoculars, glow sticks, and candy in a nice favor bag.
To save time, you may want to consider our complete Favor Sets, which include matching favor bags. Or, consider our popular personalized favors. Choose from bag tags, zipper pulls, magnets, and more, all personalized with your guests’ names or a personal message from you!
More Birthday Theme Ideas
Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child’s next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
The Backyardigans name and all related characters and elements are the property of Nickelodeon Family and Parents, Viacom International Inc. This guide is not affiliated with or endorsed by Nickelodeon Family and Parents, Viacom International Inc.
Games and Activities
Send your guests out on a fun adventure with this game.
Let your guests get creative with decorating this backyard adventure scene.
Test your guests’ knowledge of The Backyardigans with this fun game.
Let the birthday child conduct their own personal “orchestra” of friends!
Fill the air with bubbles in different shapes and sizes.
Guests will plant their own real gardens to take home.
Your guests will love making butterflies with this fun origami activity.