One of your good friends is having a baby and you get the honor of throwing her a baby shower to celebrate! You want to make the party a day she will never forget, but are unsure where to start. We want to help! The following is a general timeline to get you started with the planning. Feel free to follow it exactly, or tweak it to fit the unique personality of the mom-to-be!
6 to 8 Weeks Before the Baby Shower
- Sit down with your friend and decide on the type of baby shower she wants. Some things to consider are day vs. night, indoor vs. outdoor, traditional vs. contemporary, and theme.
- Choose a date, time, location, and theme for the baby shower party.
- Develop a guest list with addresses and phone numbers.
- Purchase baby shower supplies and invitations.
- Make a list of gifts that your friend would like, or help her register the baby shower at a few stores, such as Babies ‘R’ Us.
3 to 4 Weeks Before the Baby Shower
- Mail party invitations.
- Place a list of invitees by the phone to record RSVPs. Consider keeping a list of requested gifts or places the mother-to-be is registered by the phone, too, in case some of the guests ask for ideas when they call.
- Decide which baby shower games you will play and purchase any party supplies you will need.
- Decide on the menu.
- Select baby shower favors. A few ideas include small potted plants, decorative soaps, or chocolates.
- Order a cake (unless you plan to bake one).
- If children will be attending the baby shower, consider hiring a babysitter.
1 Week Ahead
- Decide on the agenda for the baby shower party.
- Try any baby shower games or activities with which you are unfamiliar.
- Prepare the favors.
- Call any guests who have not responded.
2 to 3 Days Ahead
- Shop for food and drinks.
- Prepare any food that can be made ahead of time.
- Charge video camera and/or put fresh batteries in your regular or digital camera. Make sure you have enough video tape/film on hand.
The Day Before the Shower
- Clean the party area.
- Bake or pick up the cake, and purchase flowers.
- Set out a punch bowl and other serving dishes.
- Go through the order of events to ensure that you have everything you need.
4 to 5 Hours Ahead
- Decorate and set the table.
- Prepare the food.
- Get balloons filled/pick up pre-filled latex or Mylar balloons appropriate for the occasion.
- Place any game items in the shower area.
- Locate paper and a pencil for recording gifts (for thank-you notes).
- Set out camera(s).
1 Hour Ahead
- Put your pet(s) in an area away from guests.
- Set out food and drinks.
- If you’re having the party at home, tie some balloons to the mailbox or front porch to mark the location of the shower.
At the Shower
- Assign the jobs of recording gifts and taking pictures/videotaping to a couple of your guests.
- Have a great time!