Want to throw your little animal lover an animal-inspired birthday party, but don’t know where to start? We have you covered! In addition to our individual animal themed party guides, our Animal Zoo guide will give you tips and ideas for an amazing Animal Zoo party. Whether your party is held at home, your local zoo, or aquarium, we have ideas for invitations, supplies, favors, food and games.
Shop our Animal Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic animal themed party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Animal Zoo party:
- A live pony
- Petting zoo animals
- Balloon animals
- Animal masks or costumes
- A variety of stuffed animals
- Movies featuring animals such as Benji, The Lion King, Scooby-Doo, Finding Nemo, Bambi and The Jungle Book
Invite your guests to a local zoo, aquarium, farm or nearby pond to celebrate your child’s big day. You can create your own birthday party invitations by using one of our ideas below. We also offer a large selection of personalized animal themed invitations that you can customize.
- Attach a card-style invitation to one of our personalized animal themed products with curling ribbon.
- Include animal stickers in the envelope with you animal birthday invitations. Seal the envelopes with a animal birthday personalized sticker with a special birthday message or party details.
- Take your child to the zoo and have them take photos of their favorite animals. Print out the photos on matte photo paper and write the party details on the back.
- Ask your child to draw a picture of their favorite animals. Scan the photo and use computer software to add the party details. Attach the invitation to an animal blower and hand deliver them to your guests.
- Include our animal mask coloring activity with your invitation and ask your guests to wear their masks to the party.
- Use animal stickers and animal stampers to decorate your handmade invitations. You can also write the following rhyme on each invite.
The lions and monkeys on Allison’s birthday.
They’re out of their cages and ready to play,
Zebras and hippos and elephants too,
Come join in the fun at our animal zoo!
We also offer a large selection of personalized animal themed invitations that you can customize.
When decorating for your Animal Zoo party, get inspired by your child’s favorite animals and their habitat. Use the African plains, the rainforest, the ocean, a farm or the jungle to inspire your creativity. Here are some additional zoo decoration ideas.
- Hang green and brown streamers from the ceiling to resemble vines. You can also add to the faux forest atmosphere with plastic plants and silk flowers.
- Scatter animal figurines and stuffed animals throughout the party area. These can be taken home after the party by guests as favors.
- Assign each party guest a different animal to pretend to be during the party. You can make tails and masks for them to wear as they hit the elephant pinata.
- Use animal print balloons and favors to decorate the area along with matching animal print fabric. You can use the fabric to cover each chair or cover only the birthday child’s chair and call them king or queen of the jungle!
- Play jungle music or animal themed movies softly in the background.
- At the serving table, make a sign that reads “Please feed the animals!”
Everyone knows wild animals need to eat! In addition to pizza, chicken fingers, hamburgers or hotdogs, you can add some Animal Zoo themed food into the mix. Here are some suggestions.
- Pigs in a blanket: Cut crescent roll dough into small triangles and wrap them around mini hotdogs. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes. If you like, wrap cheese around eat hot dog under the dough before baking.
- Banana Pops: Insert a Popsicle stick into the bottom of a halved banana. Pour chocolate syrup over the banana until it is completely covered. Roll the chocolate-covered banana in a thin layer of nuts. Freeze 4-6 hours before serving.
- Animal Snackers: Serve animal crackers with pudding cups and let the guests dunk the animals into the pudding.
- Pet Chow: Make a snack mix your guests will love. Mix M&Ms, mini marshmallows, graham cracker teddy bears and almonds in a large bowl. Add a dash powdered sugar to taste. Serve in new, clean pet bowls.
- Add an animal shaped silly straw to tall glasses of milkshakes or fruit smoothies.
- Use animal shaped cookie cutters to make zoo cookies!
Animal Zoo Cake Idea
Instead of one large cake, serve smaller bites for your little animals. Decorate cupcakes to look like your child’s favorite animals. Below are some of our animal cupcake ideas to inspire you.
- Use our chocolate cake recipe or yellow cake recipe to make the cupcake batter.
- Make the frosting using our Buttercream frosting recipe.
- Divide the frosting into separate bowls and add a different color of food coloring to each bowl. Use whatever colors match the animals you plan to make.
- Frost the cupcakes and decorate using icing, sprinkles, candy and other shaped treats. For example, we suggest using small Nilla Wafers to make mouse or bear ears and chocolate chips to make eyes!
Party Favor Ideas
Send your wild animals back to their cages with treats that will make them pounce! We offer a large variety of animal themed favors, candy and stationary. Here are some favor ideas for your Animal Zoo party.
- Fun shaped lollipops
- Animal sticker books and activities
- Animal squirt toys
- Animal figurines and stuffed animals
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Animal Zoo Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Animal Zoo Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child’s next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Guests color and wear their own adorable animal masks.
Kids will hop as fast as they can to win this relay race.
Kids will pamper their favorite stuffed animals during this activity.
Any “fish” caught by the “octopus” must help catch other “fish”.
Your guests will be as happy as hippos in mud if they get “stuck” when the music stops.
Match 5 in a row to win jungle bingo!
Find out which team’s “Flamingos” have the best balance with this game.
Send your little farmers out to round up the farm animals hidden in the hay.
Print out these two trivia games to play at your child’s birthday party. You can play them as a warm up or cool down game.
Players will have a blast in this spin on the classic game of “Duck, Duck, Goose”!