You don’t need to take a trip down the rabbit hole to figure out how to throw the ultimate Alice in Wonderland celebration. In this party guide you’ll find all of the inspiration you need for choosing the perfect invitations, decorations, food, party favors, and games for birthday and unbirthday celebrations alike. Whether you’re throwing a Mad Tea Party that’s sure to be attract the attention of the Hatter and the March Hare, or are preparing for a bash worthy of the Queen of Hearts herself, there are party ideas here that will appeal to fans of the iconic Lewis Carroll tale, the animated Disney film, and Tim Burton’s depiction of Alice and her trip to the magical world of Wonderland.
Shop all Party Supplies
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
- Mis-matched tea sets, doilies, and fancy tablecloths
- Large decks of cards
- Disney’s or Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland movies and music
- Long dining room tables
- Plastic jewelry like beaded necklaces, rings, and crowns
- Inflatable or silk flowers and trees
- Alice in Wonderland Costumes for Alice, the Mad Hatter, and the Queen of Hearts
- Stuffed animals of a white rabbit, dormouse, lobster, lizard, and other animals from the Alice in Wonderland stories.
Guests love to receive creative invitations! Not only do they provide the details of your upcoming event, they also help to generate excitement for the festivities. If you have the time to make your own invitations, here are a few suggestions of how you can take your theme to the next level right from the start:
- Include a playing card along with each invitation and seal the envelope with a tea party personalized sticker.
- In addition to the particulars of the celebration, assign each party guest a Wonderland character to dress up as, such as the Mad Hatter, Alice, the Queen of Hearts, the White Rabbit, Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dum, or the March Hare. At the party, you can then award a prize for the best dressed!
- Include a tea bag inside of the invite’s envelope.
- Decorate the card so that it looks like a playing card.
- Cut a piece of construction paper to look like a tea pot. Write the particulars of the party in the center of the cutout.
- Use creative wording like:
The Mad Hatter is coming so please mark the date.
Kim’s having a tea party with all of her friends,
Come travel to Wonderland and don’t be late,
Please RSVP to the Queen so you can attend!
Pressed for time but still looking for invites with a personalized touch? You can find a variety of personalized invitations that will tie in perfectly to your theme, such as:
From creating an elegant affair that would impress the Red Queen to setting the scene for a mad tea party where things will be sure to get stirred up, you can decorate for your Alice in Wonderland party in a variety of ways. Consider the following options to make your Alice in Wonderland party stand out:
- An archway constructed out of balloons will create a gateway into your Wonderland tea party. Gather solidly colored latex balloons with Mylar themed balloons and tie them down with top hat balloon weights.
- Use sidewalk chalk to draw giant letters on the driveway spelling out “This Way to Wonderland” and add an arrow pointing to your yard.
- Set the table with colorful plates, napkins and a real cup and saucer for each guest. Mismatched cups work well for this party theme, and you may be able to find them at yard sales or thrift shops.
- For table decorations, use teapots filled with lots of big flowers.
- Make signs that say “This Way” and “That Way” and “Other Way” with arrows pointing in different directions.
- Make your own garland from oversized playing cards and big red tissue paper flowers. Or pick up some fun crepe paper streamers to hang around the party area.
- Add small tags that say “Drink Me” to the tea cup handles.
- Hang paper lanterns over the table.
- Use pink lawn flamingos, white rabbit stuffed animals and croquet mallets as decorations.
- Set crazy hats at each place setting that read “in this style 10/6.”
Alice In Wonderland Food
Here are some suggestions for creating your yummy, themed party menu:
- Use pretty trays and tiered plate stands.
- Serve finger sandwiches with the crusts removed. Children may like jam, thinly sliced cucumber, cheese, or ham for the sandwich fillings.
- Offer tea and lemonade served from teapots.
- Opt for finger foods like mini-muffins, pretzels and grapes.
- Take sugar cookies and customize them by adding the words “Eat Me” to each using frosting.
- Make the birthday cake in the shape of a heart, in honor of the Queen of Hearts. Or make a traditional cake with pink frosting like the one in the original Alice in Wonderland story. One more option is to serve cupcakes instead of a cake and, like on the cookies, use frosting to add the words “Eat Me” to each.
Party Favor Ideas
Send your guests home from Wonderland with a variety of fancy and fun Alice in Wonderland favors.
- Beaded necklaces
- White gloves
- Mad Hatter themed hats
- Tea bags
- Playing cards
- Copies of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
- Buttons, stickers, and other customizable favors
For more Alice in Wonderland ideas, check us out on Pinterest.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Alice in Wonderland Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Alice in Wonderland Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child’s next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
We’ve substituted the White Rabbit in this version of the game!
We’ve created a Wonderland version of “Simon Says.”
Let the children design their own mad hat to wear during the party.
Guests can keep memories inside of their decorated heart-shaped boxes.
See which team can “hold on” long enough to make it to the finish line.
Let guests paint the roses red using our coloring page.
Players try to toss tea bags into a cup from a few feet away.
Partygoers can make edible bracelets out of licorice and candy with this fun food craft.
Guests will love making their own beautiful victorian fans.
Girls will have fun creating their own personal flower bookmarks.
Use this costume guide to help party guests arrive dressed as their favorite Alice in Wonderland character!