If your child is wild about airplanes and fighter jets, then it’s time for an airplane birthday party! Get ready for some just “plane” fun with these great airplane party decorating, food, game, and activity ideas.
Shop all our Boy Themed Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins, and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Airplane party:
- Toy airplanes, jets and helicopters
- Pilot glasses, jackets and hats
- Toy flight badges
- Paper airplane
- A flight simulator video game
- Parachute toy army men
Creative invitations build excitement and can increase attendance at your child’s airplane party. If you have time to make your own, be sure to involve your child in choosing the design and filling in the details. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Attach a small airplane toy, personalized monogram party supplies or personalized army party supplies to a card-style invitation with curling ribbon.
- Seal your airplane party invitations with a personalized sticker that has all your party details.
- Fold a paper airplane from colored paper. Unfold it, and write the party information in the open spaces without a fold line. Then refold the paper airplane and mail in a large envelope. Use our paper airplane instructions, or create your own plane design.
- Create invitations that resemble an airline boarding pass. Use fun descriptions for the party info, such as:
Parker Airlines, the official Birthday Party Airline!Flight time: 2 PMDestination: 1234 Airpark Drive
Seat #: A1 First Class Friend Seat
Confirm Your Flight: To confirm your flight, or if you are unable to make your flight, please call our Airlines ticket agent at 555-1234-5678.
Consider the following decorating ideas to create an airport atmosphere for your party. Try just a few ideas, or go all out!
- Use any toy airplanes your child already owns to decorate! Group them together in the middle of the table as if they are ready to take off.
- Make extra-large paper airplanes from large sheets of construction paper and hang them from the ceiling.
- Create “clouds” by tying together eight white balloons, and hanging them from the ceiling among the paper airplanes.
- Make a sign saying “Check Your Bags Here” for the coat closet or gift table.
- Make fun signs saying “Welcome Aboard”, “Pilots and Passengers Only”, “Boarding Area”, “Just Plane Fun”, and “Up, Up and Away”. Hang them on your front door and on the walls around the party space.
When it comes to food, partygoers are usually perfectly content to eat pizza or hotdogs, which is certainly much easier on the hosts! However, if you have the time and would like to serve up some more interesting treats, consider these ideas:
- Cut airplane shapes from construction paper to use as place cards or placemats for the table.
- Fill trays with miniature bags of food that might be served on a flight, such as pretzels, mini cookies, peanuts, and crackers.
- Serve sandwiches cut with an airplane cookie cutter. Rice cereal treats and brownies can also be served in this shape.
- Prepare edible airplanes children will love! Cut a banana in half lengthwise and place one half, cut side up, on a plate. Spread the cut side with peanut butter (for those who don’t like peanut butter, try marshmallow crème). Press a whole (all four sections) graham-cracker rectangle into place for each wing and a quarter rectangle for the horizontal part of the tail. Then place the other banana half on top. Next, cut a slit at the tail end of the top half, and push a graham cracker rudder piece in place to complete the tail. Add raisin windows with a little dab of peanut butter.
- Place a “Drink Cart” sign next to the cold drinks, such as small bottles of water, half-cans of soft drinks, or milk cartons. Serve the drinks with shaped silly straws.
- Place a group of candy airplanes on the food table, and let each guest choose one to take home. Use our easy instructions for making adorable candy airplanes from a roll of Smarties, two sticks of gum, and two Life Saver candies.
Airplane Cake Idea
Decorate a cake to resemble an airport runway with these easy instructions.
- Bake a 9″ x 13″ cake using either our chocolate cake recipe or our yellow cake recipe.
- Use our butter cream frosting recipe to make the frosting.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of white frosting and tint it sky blue. Use this to frost just the top corner of the cake.
- Then cover the rest of the cake with white frosting.
- Create a runway across the cake using chocolate sprinkles (or crushed chocolate cookies), and add green sugar on either side to resemble grass.
- Set a toy airplane on the runway.
- Use whipped cream to create several clouds on top of the blue frosting, and gently lay another toy airplane on them. This plane will appear to be flying in the clouds!
Party Favor Ideas
Send your party guests back down the runway with a variety of airplane themed favors such as:
- Toy airplanes
- Airplane stickers
- Paper airplanes
- Pilot sunglasses
- Make small labels that say “Thanks for flying with us!” and tie one to each favor bag. Stack the bags on a small table near the party exit, and post a sign that says “Baggage Claim”. Whichever favors you choose, your guests are sure to fly home feeling like real pilots!
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Solid Colored Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme. We suggest using different shades of blue, silver and white for an Airplane party.
- Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child’s next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
First the children fold and decorate paper airplanes. Then watch them fly!
With just three types of candy, your guests can build their own candy airplane!
We’ve created an airplane version of the popular “Duck, Duck, Goose!” game.
We’ve substituted an airplane in this high-flying version of the game!
Get your little fighter pilots flying in this variation of Musical Chairs.
Have a contest to see who can make the fastest rocket in space.
Your partygoers will be awestruck when their arms begin to raise without any effort.
Your guests will love decorating our printable Airplane coloring page.