It’s been a whole year since you brought your little princess into this world and now it’s time to celebrate with a special 1st Birthday Party! Give your little one the royal treatment with our 1st Birthday Princess Party Ideas, complete with decorating ideas, and food, game, and activity suggestions.
Shop all our First Birthday Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Planning & Invitations
The first decision you will make is where to have your 1st birthday princess party. We feel the best place to hold a first birthday party is somewhere familiar to your child, such as your home, a relative’s home, or a park you visit on a regular basis.
There are two ways to create your guest list. You may want to host a large party so all of your friends and family can be invited and everyone can share in the baby’s special day. If you think your little girl would react better to a smaller group, consider only inviting a few immediate relatives to her first birthday party.
In our experience, the best time of day for a baby’s birthday party is immediately after their naptime, and should last about an hour. A well-rested baby is much more likely to enjoy a fun and exciting party, and keeping your 1st birthday princess party short will help ensure that your child doesn’t get too overloaded.
Remember to be flexible! Little ones can be unpredictable, so expect un-scheduled rests, tears, and accidents. Our advice—just relax and go with the flow!
For more tips, check out our 1st Birthday Party Ideas Guide.
What Do I Need For a 1st Birthday Princess Party?
In addition to 1st Birthday Princess party supplies consider renting or purchasing the following:
- Extra high chairs
- Blankets (if the party is outside)
- Toys that are toddler safe
- Nursery rhyme music
- Princess movies like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Aladdin
For a 1st Birthday Princess theme, you can play off the theme, or make it personalized to your little girl. If you do not have time to make your own birthday invitations, consider our personalized princess invitations. We also offer a wide selection of 1st birthday invitations. Here are some ideas:
- Attach a card-style invitation to a personalized princess favor with curling ribbon.
- Seal your 1st birthday invitation with a personalized princess sticker.
- Copy photos of your little girl in some of her most memorable “first” moments – like the first time she sat up, the first time she slept through the night, etc. Paste these photos in a circle on the front of your invitation and write “You’re Invited” within the circle. Write all the party details inside.
- Dress the birthday girl in a princess costume, complete with tiara and pink slippers, and take her picture! Make the photo your invitation and write the party details on the back. Or take the photo into computer editing software and add fun wording like, “Come to our little princess’ 1st birthday party!”
- Cut a large number 1 from pink cardstock and write little tidbits about the birthday girl on the front. On the back, write the party details.
- Try including a fun rhyme on your 1st birthday party invitations, such as:
We’ve sent this post by royal mailTo invite you to be part of our fairy tale.Our little princess is turning 1,
So come on over and join the fun!
Simple decorations work best for a 1st Birthday Party, since little fingers can be destructive if decorations are set within arm’s reach. Here are some tips to make your princess party perfect for the little ones:
- Form a canopy using pink and lavender>crepe paper streamers. The streamers should cascade from a bow in the middle of the ceiling (or from a chandelier, if you have one) to the sides of the room.
- Tie pink and lavender helium balloons in bunches of three, and weight them with balloon weights. Attach them to the backs of chairs or let them float up from tables. For effect, add 1st Birthday mylar balloons to the bunches.
- Hang huge tissue paper balls from the ceiling or attach them high up on furniture or walls. Make your own for a fun craft activity!
- Cut star shapes out of white card stock and cover them in glitter. Hang them from the ceiling with fishing line.
- Make the birthday girl really stand out by decorating her high chair with our adorable high chair decorating kit.
- Play a princess movie (such as Cinderella, Snow White, or Sleeping Beauty) on mute. The moving images add to the decor.
- Set out a baby book or a photo album from your baby’s first year for guests to look at.
- Display a newborn outfit and an outfit in your daughter’s current size to show how much she’s grown over the past year.
Keep in mind your little guests and their parents when developing food list for your 1st birthday princess party.
- For the little ones, stick to familiar foods such as graham crackers, fish-shaped crackers, dry cereal (like Cheerios), animal crackers, and teething biscuits.
- For the adults, consider that many of them may be holding their babies or toddlers as they eat, so foods that are easy to eat with one hand are preferable. Try sandwiches cut into quarters, raw veggies, cheese cubes, and nuts.
- Have a small cake especially for the birthday girl to dig into with her hands. This will create an adorable mess but a lot of first birthday memories in the process. Have your camera ready!
- Create a Princess Castle Cake for your guests! Use our>castle cake pan or bake two 8″ or 9″ square cakes, and stack them with frosting between the two layers. Frost the entire cake in pale pink. Frost four ice cream cones to match the cake, and set them upside down in the four corners to create turrets. Stick miniature flags on toothpicks into the ice cream cones. If your little girl has tiny princess figurines, stand them around the cake for added decoration.
Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests for coming with fun 1st Birthday Party Favors like bath time toys, building blocks, or a small stuffed animal. Here are some more ideas for 1st birthday princess favors:
- Personalized bag tags can be printed with each child’s name. These are great for diaper bags, strollers, and car seats.
- Bath toys are great for younger guests.
- Stuffed animals
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- 1st Birthday Princess Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- 1st Birthday Princess Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized item including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child’s next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
How many bean bags can your toddlers toss at a target?
Ask your family members to participate in this story time activity.
Stage a music parade with you and the birthday child leading the way!
Here are creative ways to scrapbook birthday wishes for your child!
Start a yearly tradition with a growth chart!
Plant a garden that will grow every year on your child’s birthday!