Battle for the Cure
The goal of this game is to capture the "Cure" being guarded by the enemy "mutants" and carry it back to home territory.
How to Play:
- Before the party, mark a playing area in the grass that's at least 50' by 50', and preferably larger.
- Designate a boundary line across the center of the field, as well as two "prisons" (e.g. trashcans, trees, etc.) on either end of the field.
- Find two X-Men figurines, colorful scraps of cloth, or other objects to represent the "Cure," and place them in the center of the field.
The X-Men name and all related characters and elements are the property of Marvel Characters, Inc. This guide is not affiliated with or endorsed by Marvel Characters, Inc.
- Divide the children into two equal teams.
- Designate which team will be the Brotherhood of Mutants and which will be the X-Men, then instruct the teams to stand close together on either side of the boundary line.
- Before the real game starts, someone from each side picks up their team's Cure.
- They have three minutes to place it anywhere on their side that's within 100 steps of the central starting point.
- Each team's Cure should be at least partially visible (i.e. no hiding them in holes, under piles of leaves, etc.).
- At the end of the placement period, an adult signals the official start of the game.
- Some of the players from each team have to try to cross into enemy territory, capture the Cure, and carry it back across the boundary line and into home territory--all without being caught by the enemy.
- At the same time, other players can hang back to protect their team's Cure.
- These guards must stay at least 25 steps away from their team's Cure unless an enemy mutant crosses into this area.
- Any mutants found in enemy territory can be captured and imprisoned if an enemy guard grabs them and holds on long enough to yell, "Caught, caught, caught!"
- The guard must then escort the captured enemy mutant to the designated prison area.
- As long as they are touching the prison with a hand or foot, captured mutants may be rescued from prison by any teammate who makes it to the prison without getting caught by the enemy.
- Rescuers can only help one captured teammate at a time.
- Once a rescuer has successfully tagged an imprisoned teammate, both players can safely walk back to home territory without risk of getting tagged by the enemy.
- If a player successfully captures the enemy's Cure, he or she must carry it back into home territory.
- If this player is captured by the enemy before making it back across the boundary line, the Cure must be carried back to its original position.
- Play continues until either one side successfully captures the Cure or the preset time limit runs out.
- The team that captures the Cure and successfully carries it back to home territory wins.
- Or, if neither side captures the Cure within the set time, the team with the most prisoners wins.
- If the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants wins, the Cure has been destroyed; if the X-Men win, the Cure has been saved.