Pop Goes The Planet
What You'll Need:
- Several Balloons (one for each child)
- Two Magnifying Glasses
Tie or tape several balloons to a wall or fence outside. They should each be about 1'–2' off the ground, 1'–2' apart, and within view of the sun by the time the party starts.
At the Party:
- Give two children one magnifying glass each.
- Demonstrate how to position the magnifying glasses to capture the sun's rays, which will heat a spot on the balloons and make them pop.
- A bright spot will appear on the surface of each balloon just before it pops.
- Start the contest.
- The first person to pop his/her balloon wins.
- Give the winner a small prize, and let the next two guests go.
- Repeat until everyone has had a chance to pop a balloon.