Over the Ocean
Mark a 6'–7' square area on the grass or carpet. (Masking tape works well indoors.)
At the Party:
- Divide the children evenly into 2 or 3 teams.
- Then, divide each team in half, and have each half line up on either side of the playing area facing their teammates.
- Hand the first player of each team two paper plates or squares of cardboard.
- When you say "Go," the first member of each team places a plate or cardboard square onto the "ocean" playing area and steps onto it.
- Each player then sets the second plate or square down and moves to that one, being careful not to step in the shark-filled "ocean."
- Players then reach back and pick up the first plate or square from behind them and place it in front.
- The children continue in this fashion until they reach the other side.
- The first player on the other side then makes his/her way back to the starting side the same way.
- Play continues until one team has successfully crossed the "ocean."