Ocean Treasure Cake Hunt
Object of the Game:
The object of this game is for the children to find the birthday cake by following clues.
Before the party, cut fish shapes from construction paper. Write clues on them using the samples below or your own ideas. If preschoolers are participating, you will have to either find a helper to assist them with reading the clues or draw pictures of the locations of subsequent clues. For instance, you could draw a fish on a picture of a tree to indicate that the clue is by a tree.
On the day of the party, hide the clues in the appropriate spots starting with the last clue and working backwards. Place the cake or other prize out of sight, and bring it out just before the children arrive at the last clue.
How to Play:
- The cake is missing! It's hidden from view.
If you want your dessert, then here's what you do:
Follow the clues; they'll lead you to more.
To find your next clue, look by the front door.
- It's a clue that you want, a clue you expect,
so look by the steps that lead to the deck.
- Get moving now, quick as a crab;
look on the _______ and it's a clue that you'll nab.
- Go as fast as you can; there's no time to slouch!
You'll find your next clue by the living room couch.
- In the front yard, you'll find an oak tree;
if you look all around, it's a clue that you'll see.
- It's a clue that you want, a clue that you seek;
go to the _______ and take a peek.
- Seek and search; peek and snoop.
Look very carefully by the basketball hoop.
- The next clue is simple; it's not hard at all.
Look near the closet in the front hall.
- A clue, a clue, now where can one be?
I think there's one hidden near the TV.
- The next clue is easy; it's in the bag,
but only if you look outside by the flag.
- If it's a clue that you want, then you had better
look where you'd find a special delivery letter.
- You've found lots of clues; now find some more.
Start by looking on the garage door.
- You've listened so well to what I have said
that I'll make this quite simple; the clue's in the shed!
- When you're in the kitchen, it's a sink that you'll see,
and that's where the next little clue will be!
- You'll be getting warmer when you get to the spot
where winter fires burn incredibly hot.
- It's not a trick; it's not a trap;
just look where you give your food a ZAP!
- It's in the kitchen; you use it to chat;
Look on the counter; it's as easy as that!
- You'll be so pleased that you might give me a smooch
when you find the bed that's used by a pooch.
- You've reached the last clue; it's dessert you deserve.
You'll find cake on the _______-ready to serve!
At the party, hand the children the first clue. Lead them from clue to clue until they find the cake or other prize.
For ease, the last clue should probably lead back to the cake table. Simply put the cake on the table just before the children arrive at the last location.