My Little Sock Puppet
What You'll Need:
- Enough child-sized long socks in an assortment of colors for each guest to have one. Great colors would be yellow, pink, light blue, purple or rainbow.
- Wiggly eyes or buttons that match (wiggly eyes with sticker backing are better)
- Different colors of yarn
- Felt and/or Felt Stickers
- Sequins and other decorative items
- Cut some of the felt into shapes that look like hearts, stars, diamonds, clouds, music notes and any other shapes you can think of.
- Cut felt in small in the shape of triangles for ears.
- Cut some black felt in small circles for nostrils.
- Prepare the mane for the ponies by doing the following:
At the Party:
- Choose pretty colors of yarn or have the children pick their own colors at the party.
- Cut 10 strands of yarn about 4-5 inches long.
- Tie the pieces together in a knot at the top of the strands.
- When the child is finished decorating their sock puppet, use scissors to cut a very small hole on top of the pony's head. Then, push the knot of the hair through the hole.
- Turn the sock puppet inside out and double knot the yarn so that it's bigger than the hole.
- Turn the sock puppet right side out.
- Cover the hole by tying a strand of ribbon into a bow and placing it at the top of the pony's new mane.
- You can use the same technique to create pony tails for the sock puppets too!
Have your guests follow these steps to make a My Little Sock Puppet. Encourage creativity! Children can put on a puppet show when they are finished!
- Place your hand inside the sock to form a blank sock puppet.
- Add wiggly eyes or buttons with glue (or use the sticker wiggly eyes with no glue).
- Add two black nostrils for the nose.
- Add two triangles for ears.
- Decorate the back of the sock puppet with felt shapes, markers, sequins and other decorative items.
- Have an adult add the mane and a tail. You can even braid them if you'd like.
- Now that your sock puppet is complete, why not give it a name?