What You'll Need:
- A Glass
- A Measuring Cup
- A Spoon
- A Balloon
- An Empty Plastic Bottle
- A Funnel
- Baking Soda
At the Party:
- Pour 1 cup of vinegar into a glass, and put a spoonful or two of baking soda into the balloon.
- Set everything except the baking soda out on the table where you will be performing the trick.
- Your audience should not know that there's baking soda inside the balloon.
- Explain to your audience that there is a magic genie in the bottle.
- Tell them that the genie is very powerful and that he's going to blow up the balloon.
- Then, talk into the bottle, and ask the genie if he'll blow up the balloon.
- Act like you're listening to the genie's reply, and then tell your audience that the genie says he's very thirsty and won't blow up the balloon until you give him a drink.
- Use a funnel to pour the vinegar into the bottle, and then remove the funnel.
- Stretch the mouth of the balloon over the mouth of the bottle, making sure that the balloon sags to the side so the baking soda doesn't fall in right away.
- Once the balloon is in place, say the magic words, "Abracadabra!" while lifting the balloon up and shaking it a little to empty the baking soda into the bottle.
- Presto change-o... the balloon magically inflates!