What You'll Need:
- Balloon Swords (see our Balloon Sword Fights activity for instructions)
- 2 Shields (see our Shield Making activity for instructions)
- Two Helmets (bicycle or other)
- Aluminum Foil
- Hobby Horses (optional)
At the Party:
- Create several balloon swords using the directions from our Balloon Sword Fights activity. (You will want one for every child participating, plus a few extras in case any pop.)
- Create two shields using the directions from our Shield Making activity.
- Cover the two helmets with aluminum foil.
- Select two guests to be the first knights to joust.
- Proclaim them Sir [1st guest's name] and Sir [2nd guest's name] as you place their jousting helmets on and secure them.
- Hand each knight his trusty stead (i.e. hobby horse, if desired), a shield and a lance (i.e. balloon sword).
- Have a "lady of the castle" drop her handkerchief to signal the start of the jousting match.
- Each knight should then charge toward his opponent at a gallop and attempt to break his opponent's lance or knock it from his hand.
- If they both miss, they must turn and charge again.
- The victorious knight is the one still holding an un-popped balloon at the end of the jousting match, and he may choose his next challenger.
- Play until everyone has taken a turn.
- The overall winner may be determined by who wins the last match OR by who survived the most rounds.