Makes ¾ cup of each color.
- 1 Envelope of Unflavored Powdered Gelatin
- 1 Cup of Cornstarch
- ½ Cups of Soap Flakes
- 2½ Cups of Cold Water
- A Pea-Sized Amount of 4 Colors of Food Coloring Paste (available at most baking supply and large craft stores)
- 1 Small Mixing Bowl
- 1 Wooden Paint Stirrer or a Spoon for Mixing
- 1 Saucepan
- A Fine-Mesh Strainer
- 4 8-Ounce Containers
- Pour a ½ cup of water into a small mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the gelatin powder over the water and stir until the gelatin dissolves.
- Combine the soap flakes, cornstarch and remaining 2 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Stir in the dissolved gelatin mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick.
- Remove the mixture from heat and strain equal parts into the 4 8-ounce containers.
- Cool the mixture for at least 1 hour.
- Use the food coloring paste to make a different color in each container, stirring each until well mixed.
The undiluted food coloring paste is very concentrated and can easily stain hands or clothing.