Samurai Balloon Swordfights
What You'll Need:
Create a balloon sword for each of your guests the morning of the party. You will want to create a few extras in case any of them pop.Each balloon sword is composed of three parts:
- Before inflating, give the balloon a good stretch by tugging at either end.
- Next, insert the balloon pump into the mouth of the balloon, and hold the balloon onto the pump while you're inflating it.
- Inflate the balloon until it's about 3/4 full, leaving a tail that's approximately 2" long.
- If needed, let a little bit of air out, and then knot the balloon as shown in step 1 of the diagram below.
- Next you will need to make a "Tulip Twist" at the knotted end of the balloon.
- To do this, hold the knotted end of the balloon with your left hand, and then push the knot into the balloon with the index finger of your right hand (see step 2 below).
- Then, use your left hand to pinch the sides of the balloon until you're grasping the knot inside the balloon (see step 3 below).
- Hold the knot tightly with the thumb and index finger of your left hand, and then carefully pull your right index finger out of the balloon.
- With your right hand, twist the balloon three times to make sure it stays twisted (see step 4 below).
- To finish the handle, grasp the balloon about 3" to 4" below the tulip knot, and twist it about five times to form a four" bubble (see step 5 below).
- To make the handle guard, pinch off four 2"-sections, and twist each section three times to hold it in place.
- Twist the two bubbles farthest from the tulip twist together, forming one side of the handle guard, as shown in step 7 below.
- Then, bring that section to the twist between the handle and the first 2"-bubble, and lock twist several times.
The remaining straight portion of the balloon forms the blade of the sword (see step 8 below).
At the Party:
- Divide the children into pairs for balloon sword battles.
- One can be a samurai and the other a ninja.
- Or you can divide the group into two teams called the Samurai and the Ninjas.
- Then stand back and let the battle begin!