Off to the Races
At the Party:
- Mark a 15'- to 20'-long starting line in the grass.
- Put 2 markers (e.g. cones, wooden posts, or buckets) 20' to 30' away from the starting line, and 10' to 15' feet away from each other.
- Divide the children into two equal teams.
- Have the teams line up, single file, behind the starting line.
- Make sure there is one marker directly across from each line of players.
- When you say, "Go!" the first player in each line runs to the opposing marker, makes a U-turn around it, and runs back to the start line to tag the next player.
- The tagged player then runs to the marker, makes a U-turn, and runs back to tag the next player.
- Play continues in this fashion until every player on one team has completed the relay. The first team to finish wins the race.
You can set up a relay course that loops back around like a race track. In this case, each player runs around the entire course before tagging the next player in line. The first team to cycle through all of its players wins.