Tie Dye Fun
What you'll need:
At the Party:
- Fabric dye in assorted colors
- Rubber bands
- Rubber gloves (enough for each guest)
- Squirt bottles
- Large pot or bucket
- A white T-shirt for each guest
- Have guests crumple, fold, twist, and knot their shirts in any design they'd like and secure with rubber bands. To create a small circle, add a marble and tie it off with a rubber band.
- Place plenty of trash bags under your dying area (preferably outside)
- Prepare dye according to directions on the package.
- Place the shirt in the dye for at least 15-20 minutes per color. To make things easy, you may want to stick with one color per shirt. Alternately, you can use squirt bottles to place different colors on the shirt. Make sure guests wear rubber gloves to protect their hands.
- Once the shirt has absorbed dye for 15-20 minutes, wrap in newspaper and put in a sealable plastic baggie for the kids to take home.
Instruct guests (or their parents) to rinse their shirts in cold water when they get home (the fabric can sit for two to 24 hours before rinsing). Rinse until the water runs clear, then wash the shirt separately, as it will stain other garments in the washing machine.
The best part about tie dying is there is no right or wrong way to do it. Each shirt is a unique creation, so encourage the kids to be creative with their designs and have fun!