Creative Cupcake Contest
Children will love decorating cupcakes and you will have saved the time it would have taken you to decorate treats for the entire class.
What You'll Need:
- Plain Cupcakes (1 for each child)
- Paper Plates (1 for each child)
- Plastic Knives (1 for each child)
- Tubs of White or Orange Icing
- Assorted Candy (i.e. gumdrops, licorice strings, candy corns, colored wafers, M&Ms, sprinkles, etc.)
- Small Bowls (to hold the assorted candy)
- 1 or 2 Markers
Before the Party:
- Ask a parent to bake enough cupcakes for each child, plus a few extra cupcakes for the teacher and the aides.
- To make orange cupcakes, add a few drops of red and yellow food coloring to vanilla cake batter, or add 1/4-cup orange Kool-Aid drink mix powder.
- If you are throwing a party for a preschool or kindergarten class, you may want to ice the cupcakes with white or orange frosting prior to the party.
At the Party:
- Place a plate on the table or station in front of each child's seat.
- Write each child's name in marker on the bottom of his or her plate.
- Place a cupcake on each plate.
- Give each child a plastic knife and let small groups of children share tubs of icing.
- While the children are icing their cupcakes, place small bowls of candy corn, gumdrops, orange and black sprinkles, and other decorative candy at each table or station.
- Give the children some time to decorate their cupcakes with ghoulish faces, spiders, or other spooky designs.
- After the children decorate their cupcakes, line up the plates on a table or counter.
- Use a marker to number the plates on their edges.
- Ask the children to vote for the funniest, silliest, scariest, yummiest, etc., by writing down the corresponding number.
- After the children vote, use the names on the bottom of the plates to pass the cupcakes back out for each child to enjoy while you tally the votes. For first grade or below, you may want to have the teacher give each cupcake a special award, such as best cat, best pumpkin, sweetest cupcake, etc., so that no one feels left out.
- Finally, announce the winners!