What You'll Need:
- One pair of white canvas sneakers for each child (we recommend Converse All Stars)
- Tempera paint in various colors
- Paint brushes
- Fabric markers
- Paper cups
- Cups of water
- Paper towels
- Old shirts or smocks
- Shoe boxes
How to Make Graffiti Shoes:
- Lay down newspaper on the ground and place the blank shoes on top.
- Make sure the children are wearing old shirts or smocks that can get messy.
- Pour the different colors of tempera paint into separate cups.
- Also lay out cups of water and paper towels.
Did You Like This Craft Project?
- Ask the child to draw designs on their shoes using fabrics markers first.
- When they finish drawing they can use paint to create the rest of the design.
- Instruct the children to dip their brushes into the paint and then stand over their pair of shoes.
- Now they can carefully flick paint onto the shoes (not on each other).
- When they are finished using one color they can rinse their brush before choosing a different color.
- Make sure to completely dry the brush with paper towels between each color otherwise the paint won't go on thick.
- The children can continue flicking on different colors of paint until they're satisfied with their work of art!
- Tempera paint dries fast but just in case, have extra shoe boxes on hand for when it's time to take the shoes home.
your comments or questions. We'd love to hear from you!