You May Also Like
Twisted Pretzel Recipe
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/4 cups warm water
- 5 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 4 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt (this is for the pretzel topping)
- Mix together the yeast, warm water and 1 teaspoon of sugar in a small bowl. This will dissolve the yeast. Let the mix stand for 10 minutes until it looks creamy.
- Mix together the flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt in a large bowl.
- Make a hole in the center of the mixture and add the oil and the yeast mixture from the small bowl.
- Mix everything until it forms into dough. In case the mixture is too dry, you can add another one or two tablespoons of water.
- Now, knead the dough for about 8 minutes until it is smooth.
- Place a tiny bit of oil in another large bowl and place the dough in it. Coat the dough with the oil and then cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Allow 1 hour for the dough to rise. You will know it's ready when it has doubled in size. It's best to place the dough some place warm.
- When the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Mix the baking soda and hot water together in a large bowl until the baking soda has dissolved.
- Lightly flour a table area or cutting board and place the dough on top.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Now divide those pieces into 2 more pieces. You should have 24 pieces total.
- Roll each piece into the shape of a rope. Then, twist groups of 2 together.
- Once all the dough is twisted, dip each piece into the baking soda solution. Then place on a greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle each twisted pretzel lightly with kosher salt.
- Bake for 8 minutes until lightly browned.
- If you'd like you can serve the pretzels with cinnamon or melted butter.