Hot Lava Tug of War
What You'll Need:
- A long rope
- Red spray paint (outdoors) or a red blanket (indoors)
Mark the lava area in the grass (about 2–3 feet wide) using red spray paint, or use a red blanket if playing indoors.
At the Party:
- Divide the guests into two teams. You can name them Herbivores vs. Carnivores, Stegosauruses vs. Tyrannosauruses, etc. Younger children may need an adult "anchor."
- Line each team up, one behind the other, on either side of the lava.
- Explain to the teams that they should try to stay out of the hot lava!
- Using the rope, show children how to pull as a team.
- Position the middle of the rope in the middle of the "lava" and hand the ends to the two teams.
- When the game begins, each team tries to pull the other team across or into the lava.
- Play two or three rounds.