Create a dinosaur excavation site in your yard or garage! Your child and guests will have a great time digging through the sand to unearth the dinosaur bones! Let them be like real paleontologists, and use a small paint brush to clean off their finds!
What You'll Need:
- You will need something as the Dinosaur bones. These can be clean meat bones, or the pieces from a large wooden dinosaur puzzle. If using meat bones, boil them for about an hour to remove all traces of meat, and dry them in the oven for another hour. If desired, you can spray the dry bones with white paint.
- Bags of Play sand
- Sand shovel and pail for each guest
- Small paint brushes for the children to clean off their bones
You can hide the bones in a sandbox, a large wheelbarrow, a child's wading pool, or simply lay them on the ground. Then scatter the sand to completely cover all the bones. You may even want to rope off the area with a sign that says 'Dinosaur Dig".
At the Party:
- Tell the children that dinosaur bones have been discovered nearby, and their job is to dig for the rest of the bones!
- Hand each child a sand pail and shovel and send them to the dig site.
- Let them use the paint brushes to clean off their bones.
- If you purchased a wooden dinosaur puzzle to hide, let the children put together the dinosaur when all the pieces have been found.