What You'll Need:
- Colorful Paper (such as wrapping paper)
- Tongue Depressors (2 for each child)
- A Stapler
At the Party:
- Paint the tongue depressors and let dry. You'll need two for each guest.
- If using wrapping paper for the fans, flatten overnight by placing the paper on a table and pressing with heavy books on each end.
- Cut paper into 6" by 30" strips, one for each guest.
- Cut a 10" length of ribbon for each guest.
- Hand each guest a 6" by 30" strip of paper.
- Each child should fold the short end over one inch and continue, making one inch accordion folds to the end of the strip.
- Staple one end of the folds together, about 1/2 inch in from the end. If using a low melt glue gun, an adult should assist with the gluing.
- Glue a painted tongue depressor to each side of the accordion-folded paper about 1/4" above the staple.
- Once the glue has dried, open the fans and tie the handles together with a colorful ribbon to keep it open.
As an alternative to making your own fans, guests can use watercolor paints to paint solid white fans.