What You'll Need:
At the Party:
- Long Lengths of Colored Embroidery Thread
- Coated Rubber Bands
Have the girls work in pairs, braiding each other's hair.
- First pick up enough hair to make a thin braid about 1/8th of an inch thick. Make a braid and fasten with a rubber band at the bottom.
- Next, pick out some colors of embroidery thread in three different colors.
- The length of the strings depends on the length of your hair. For shoulder length hair or shorter, measure 1 1/2 times the length of your arm; if the hair comes down to her chest, measure the string out to twice your arm length.
- Line up all the strings evenly and tie in a knot around the top of the braid you made in the hair.
- Take one of the strings in your right hand and the braid and the other two strings in your left hand.
- Then place your pointer finger of your left hand under the braid and the two colors.
- Make the knot below about 30 times.
- Then, take the color from your right hand and put it in your left, swapping for the other color.
- Repeat several times.
- Finally, take the third color in your right hand and make the final knots.
- Continue switching colors evenly until you finish knotting down the length of the braid.
- To finish, tie the strings into a knot at the bottom and cut the extra string.