What You'll Need:
At the Party:
- Accordion Straws
- Tape or Glue
- Markers and/or Other Decorations
- Construction Paper
Have the children follow the instructions below to build their own tepees. Use the images below as a reference.
- Tie three straws together, about one inch from the top ends, to form a pyramid. Straws that bend at the neck work well because the accordion section gives you a place to tie the straws. (See images 1 and 2 below.)
- Cut out a tepee pattern from the construction paper, one for each guest. (See image 3 below.)
- Curl the construction paper around to form a cone. Tape or glue it together. Use scissors to cut off the top inch of the cone. (See image 4 below.)
- Push the straw support up through the hole in the top of the cone. Cut an inch-and-a-half up from the bottom of the tepee, and fold the flaps back to form the tepee's entrance. (See image 5 below.)
Let the children decorate their tepees with markers, glitter glue, etc.