What You'll Need:
- Paper Rocks (crumbled pieces of paper)
- A large box
- A small shovel or a spoon
- Several small prizes (i.e. small toys and/or candy)
Put all of the rocks in the box, followed by all of the prizes. Mix everything up until the prizes are "buried."
At the Party:
- One at a time, each child will have a chance to dig for a prize.
- Set a time limit of 30 to 60 seconds.
- Explain that the children may only use the shovel-not their hands-to move the rocks and pick up prizes.
- When you say "Go," a child starts excavating until he/she gets a prize or until time runs out.
- If a child doesn't find a prize within the time limit, let him/her go again after everyone else has had a turn.
- You may wish to let the child dig without a time limit the second time around.
- Cycle through until every guest has a prize!
The birthday child probably wouldn't mind digging through the rocks to find whatever prizes are left after the party is over!