The goal of the game is to follow a course invented by the leader until "rush hour." At rush hour, the players try to run back to base without being tagged by the leader.
At the Party:
- Select a tree or other spot to be the base. Select one player to be the leader (the birthday child can start).
- All of the other players should line up single file behind the leader.
- To begin the game, the leader starts walking while everyone follows.
- The leader invents a "road trip" with actions such as hopping on one foot for 15 feet, climbing over a tree stump, etc.
- As the players follow the leader's course, they should keep asking him "What time is it?" The leader can answer however he wants, calling out times like "One o'clock" or "Two o'clock."
- When the leader finally decides to respond with "Rush Hour!" the other players turn and run back to base.
- The leader chases the others, trying to tag a player.
- The first player tagged becomes the leader for the next round.