What You'll Need:
Before the Party:
- Gum drop candies (sometimes called spice drops, or Dots)
- Coffee stir sticks
- Cereal bowls
- Table and chairs
- Adult supervision
Place a bunch of gum drops into small bowls and set them on the table. There should be one bowl for every two children to share. Do the same for the coffee stir sticks and set them on the table next to the gum drop bowls.
At the Party:
- Instruct the children that they are going to build towers using only gum drops and stir sticks.
- Give them tips on the best way to construct their towers. For instance, you don't have to build one on top of the other. You can structure the tower with a base of four and then build up.
- When you see the towers start to sway or tip, announce there is one minute left to build.
- At the end of the time limit, whoever has the tallest standing tower wins a prize!
The normal time for this game is about 10-15 minutes depending on the age group. Although an adult should supervise, let the children use their own problem-solving skills to win the game!