Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
Prepare these yummy cupcakes instead of birthday cake for your party guests. If you'd like, you can slice up strawberries and arrange them around the outside of each cupcake. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Rainbow or chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Place the baking cups in the muffin pan and set aside.
- Whisk together the baking powder, flour, salt and corn starch in a medium bowl.
- In the large bowl, use a mixer to beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract at medium-high speed for about 3 minutes. It should be smooth and slightly thick.
- Now add the butter and oil to the large bowl and beat until mixed. Make sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl if needed.
- Add the milk slowly. It's best to add some of the milk, then blend, a little bit more, and then blend until the entire 1/2 cup is mixed.
- Fill each baking cup 2/3rds full with the cake batter. If you have extra batter you can add a little more to each cup to get bigger, fluffier cupcakes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-23 minutes in the center of the oven rack. You will know they are finished baking when you can insert a toothpick into the center of a cupcake and it comes out clean. The finished cupcakes should be springy and not brown.
- Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and set aside.
While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the buttercream frosting.
- Beat the softened butter until smooth in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Now add the powdered sugar, vanilla and salt to the mix. Beat on a low speed until combined evenly.
- Continue to blend on a medium speed, beat the mixture until nice and smooth.
- Pour in the milk slowly and beat for 2 minutes on a medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the strawberry jam to taste. If you'd like a more powerful strawberry taste, add a little more jam.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes.
- Top with a fresh strawberry, chocolate or rainbow sprinkles and serve!