This chocolate cake recipe is easy to make and contains no eggs! Each recipe makes one 8-inch round double layer cake covered with decadent chocolate frosting. Or you can use the cake batter to make cupcakes and then frost the cupcakes with the homemade frosting. Oh yeah, it's good.
Cake Batter Ingredients:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons table salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Use non-stick spray on two 8-inch round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt until nicely blended.
- Add water, oil, white vinegar, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients. Whisk until the mixture is just combined. Do not over mix the cake batter or it won't be moist and fluffy.
- Pour the batter into the 2 cake pans and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Check by inserting a toothpick into the center and when it comes out clean, remove the pan from the oven.
- Let cakes cool for 15 minutes. Remove them from the pans by carefully turning them upside-down on a cooling rack.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a large sauce pan over low heat.
- Slowly stir in cocoa, sugar and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sour cream and heavy cream.
- Add the cream mixture to the mix on the stove and stir until the chocolate is blended.
- Cook on low-medium heat until the sugar dissolves. The mixture will be smooth and hot to the touch. Do not boil!
- Remove the chocolate from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Cool the frosting for 3 hours.
- To frost the cake, place 1 layer of cake, flat side up, on a flat plate. With a knife, spread the top with frosting. Place the second layer of cake on top, rounded side up, and spread the frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate if desired and enjoy!
You may want to make the frosting first, and then the cake later since the frosting takes 3 hours to cool.