Create an excavation site in your yard or garage! Your child and guests will have a great time digging through the sand to unearth the hidden ruins! Let them be like real paleontologists, and use a small paint brush to clean off their finds!
What You'll Need:
- You will need something to excavate, like a Lincoln Log fort or a LEGO building with pieces that come apart.
- Some 'treasure" to hide also, like a bag of foil covered chocolate coins or candy bracelets. Put the treasure in a zip-top bag to keep it clean.
- Bags of play sand
- Sand shovel and pail for each guest
- Small paint brushes for the children to clean off their finds
Hide the building pieces and the bag of 'treasure" in a sandbox, a child's wading pool, or simply lay them on the ground. Then scatter the sand to completely cover all the pieces. You may even want to rope off the area with a sign that says "Archaeology Dig."
At the Party:
- Tell the children that ancient ruins have been discovered nearby, and their job is to dig for the rest of the missing pieces!
- Hand each child a sand pail and shovel and send them to the dig site.
- Let them use the paint brushes to clean off their finds.
- When the bag of 'treasure" is found, let the kids divide it up evenly.
- The second part of this activity is to let the children put together the building when all the pieces have been found.